Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:14 am

Post subject: How do y'all ship?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:23 pm 

I would much prefer to sell my e-waste to boardsort than my local yard because I don't trust my local yard to be responsible about processing it. However, looking at shipping cost, it seems prohibitive to ship all but the most valuable categories. For example, I can fit about 4# of high peripheral into a large usps flat rate box. at 2.75 a pound that's 11 bucks, but it would cost $18 to ship. How do you guys manage the shipping expense to make this realistic?

Post subject: Re: How do y'all ship?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:01 am 

Find out what the local yard will pay you for different categories of circuit boards. If they at least have different prices for low grade and peripheral and telco then I'd imagine they are getting it recycled. If all they can do is pay you steel rate then that's when I hesitate to take them material.

Shipping; anything I can pack densely and is worth around CD board rate I will ship in a USPS flat rate box.
Lower grades, I have dealt with locally or, if I have the quantity, I have shipped pallets. If you are able to get pallet loads, do a search for Gorven in this forum and when you're ready (or if you have questions beforehand) he can help you get that setup for pretty good rates.

There are other suggestions in the forum but that's my experience.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:32 pm 

I mainly ship stuff directly to the refinery, but protip: if you have access to a loading dock and have the ability to fill a gaylord with nothing but one specific style of board (they only want sorted boards, so this would have to be the case) then freight would be about $100 bucks, plus or minus a few dollars, via LTL.
You can realistically fit 500-700 pounds of boards into a gaylord.
$2.75 for "high peripheral" x 600 pounds = $1,650 on $100 spent. Not a bad deal.
Of course you will have to notify Chris and provide BOL and let him know it's one type of board.
If you dont have a dock, and they have to use a liftgate at your house, you're looking like 300-400 bucks instead for the same pallet.
If this isn't for you, I suggest higher value boards in the vein of what Marked was saying. Or, use UPS through pirateship and that will save you a ton. Chris also has a prepaid option, unless he discontinued that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

LTL is best for individuals with shipping over 500Lbs. You’re not limited to single gayloard fills either. A Gaylord of reasonable sturdiness is under $30 from multiple places. A collection of double wall boxes (50 pck) is $20-$50 on Amazon.
Put boards in boxes. Boxes in the gayloard.

For us lesser peoples? I suggest a partnered FedEx business account.
Ebay makes these available in their help forum a few times a year. Mercari had offered a service for a while. And Alibris has a plan if you jump through a billion hoops to get in. I got my account many years ago through ebay.
But FedEx likes “truck stuffing”. Aka Tetris. Dozens of small (but reasonable sized) boxes will ship for less than a single large one.

I believe my heaviest order was over 150 pounds in many, many boxes. Shipped for $52.
If you do this be smart. Make sure a copy of the whole order is in every box. Place your order number on each box, ideally using the FedEx note line when making your shipment.
Email Chris (you’re supposed to) you order number and tracking number. And include the number of boxes!

Getting a FedEx account through a larger sales company is extremely difficult. For multiple logical reasons. Mostly bad apples spoil the pie. But business shipping costs less than consumer. And a partner program can yield costs 50-80 percent lower than retail.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:25 pm 

Thanks everyone! It seems like sticking to higher value stuff and shipping flat rate is probably my best bet for now. I do deal with a fair number of boards, but they are incidental to my scrapping endeavors, not something I have in huge quantities. One of my primary reasons for scrapping is keeping stuff out of the landfill, but I can't afford to pay to do that. Thus, for now lower value stuff will go to my local yard and I will just have to trust that they aren't being dumb about it (another yard in my area is having to do pretty extensive cleanup to an adjacent wetland because of their questionable practices). Thanks again for the input!