Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:11 pm

Post subject: and the last to id?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:10 pm 

Hi - Happy New Year! Need help finalizing a shipment? Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
18 19 20 21 22 23 pics 2.jpg
18 19 20 21 22 23 pics 2.jpg [ 2.32 MiB | Viewed 771 times ]
18 19 20 21 22 23 pics 1.jpg
18 19 20 21 22 23 pics 1.jpg [ 3.14 MiB | Viewed 771 times ]

Post subject: Re: and the last to id?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:24 am 
Site Admin

The first pair are enterprise network switches with ram based buffers.
Both peripheral. Despite rom being faster than ram on paper it’s a well known fact of electrical engineering that a unbuffered ram buffer based rom will outperform rom. Unbuffered ram is about 1/3 faster in ops vs rom, which requires a buffer or clock.

I’m arguing with myself over the second so I’ll call it low telco for general consumption. Despite the low profile sockets and IC pop there’s still a LOT of board; and this predates (in production process if not age) integrated relays.

Last photo’s reply is good.

The difference between peripheral and low telco? Besides the price and all the classes/grades in between?

High telco is the highest rate for general boards that don’t fall into a specific class of their own: eg ram/hard drive.

Let me make this much easier for ALL.
High telco will be some gawd awful memory board from the 70s/80s...

video cards with more ram than a bitcoin miner converting AV1 8K video needs, a handful of server switcher that just went wtf overkill, ...

high telco is rare.
It’s literally an example of of how NOT to do board layout.
Be it implementing 512KB of memory on an 8square inch board with 256 2k chips (looking at you Commodore), or ATI with 2GB ram on the FirePro 2G using 256MB chips.
MOST LTO7 boards fall into telco for the same stupidity as the later ATI FirePro. Damn, what a waste.

High telco covers two things:
1) Pre 1984 telecommunications and aerospace equipment. Where signal integrity was an issue with contemporary tech.
And
2) stupidity in execution

I may come across as crass here but the reality is I’ve yet to come across a non-memory expansion since 1988 that would qualify as high telco that I couldn’t implement at the time with contemporary parts for a lower cost to manufacturer, with less components.

The reason both BBC and Commodore parts tend to make high telco is the SAME reason both companies are deader than dead.
We all know how ATI ended up. Making the same products for two years post Acquisition for 1/4 the cost and selling them at 1/2 the price.
Dell buys the Lexmark production and 18 months later the same $120 printer drops to $50 in a new design.
Samsung buys Kodak household and the price of the photo-mate is shrunk from $250 to $30.

Pardon my ranting. I’ve consumed more liquor than a Viking after a failed raid.
But high telco is a hard to make threshold