Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:31 pm

Post subject: PH 9
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 12:38 pm 

Attachment:
ph9 gold connect.jpg
ph9 gold connect.jpg [ 2.91 MiB | Viewed 1735 times ]
Gold plated RF Connectors

Post subject: Re: PH 9
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:07 am 

Bump.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:21 am 

First off, the photograph is blurry and the lighting is bad. Second, there are hundreds in a pile. And many more inside the can.

Having said that, if these came off of sat comm gear, military equipment, or decent, high quality commercial comms gear. The likely hood they’re gold plated connectors is pretty high.

There are however, all brass versions of these as well.

Brass is, well, brassy in color. Especially when sitting next to a true gold plated object. Some things you can do short of a test kit. Impossibly time consuming with so many connectors. Have an object or two you know is brass and an object or two you know are gold next to your connectors. This may help a little.

Gold, no matter the lighting, will always look gold. Brass on the other hand, will go dark or black when heavily shaded.

As a side note, men are horrible when it comes to identifying shades of color or hues. Women on the other hand, are superior when it comes to differentiating shades of and hues of color. Hence the myriad oddball names of color paint at yer local hardware store. If you have one, grab yer gal and have her take a gander. She may be able to help.

Everything else aside, it looks like the majority of them are gold plated RF connectors.

Do your best (honest with yourself) to sort them. Let Boardsort know what you’ve got. Keep ‘em separate in a bag or container. Put the ones you’re not sure of in a separate bag and label them “unsure” or something like that. Boardsort will help you out when they get them as long as you take the time to properly sort.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy,

RustyFuryIII

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:46 am 

I apologize for the blurry photo comment, my phone is acting up. For whatever reason, it loaded the photo blurry. Been doing a lot of other weird stuff too.

Also, my blurry photo comment was not meant to be mean or derogatory in any way.

Back to our regularly scheduled program

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:10 pm 

- ccussins: What does “Bump” mean?

- Rusty….: I did dig some obvious brass imposters out of that pile after the photo. Most are EXPENSIVE commercial grade connectors.

- I will put them under brighter light and give my second set of eyes a look at them (apparently, her ears work better than mine as well…)

- So, what "bin" do I put them in? (by type/ payout rate per BoardSort categories)???

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 7:31 pm 

1) ccussins bumped the thread back to the top of the list. Not sure the origins of the use of bump to describe that particular act but it's a fairly common forum term now. Basically ccussins wants to keep this topic near the top, to get you an answer.

(2,3)

4) Once ccussins gets an answer I'm sure it'll be posted here for you

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Yes, those are gold plated rf connectors. I will buy those at $5.00 per pound (list them as gold pins on our invoice). You have a few in there that belong in the $1 connector category (the 25 pin long connector and the green board connector) but the rest can go at $5/lb.

I agree brass and gold are difficult to differentiate over the internet. In this case I am familiar with this item so the color is not an issue.