Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:24 am

Post subject: gold and or rhodium ?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:40 pm 

laptop harddrive actuator head - I don't see a drop of rhodium or anything on the end, is there anything good there ? i assume the gold colored stuff is gold

Attachments:
actuator head.jpg
actuator head.jpg [ 79.07 KiB | Viewed 2753 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:34 pm 

I'm going to summarize what I can remember off the top of my head. Some additions in blue

Rhodium is only found (at least in any useful amount) in the read/write heads of hard disk drives. Floppy/zip/tape drives do not have rhodium as they're based on different technology (which actually makes contact with the storage media unlike HDD which would be bad).
The head isn't just a chunk of rhodium the bulk of the head is actually called a slider which stabilizes the read/write head but it does contain rhodium.
Laptop drives have a higher amount of rhodium as a %of material vs desktop drives.
If you collect the heads make sure you keep them someplace you won't lose them (I lost a couple grams and I think they ended up in the trash that someone else took out)

You can also use the search function to search rhodium and in the author part search Lostinlodos. That'll get you a bunch of more specific info.

Last edited by marked141 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:45 pm 

I have been looking for more info on the rhodium in read/write heads as well. I would like to remove it and find a buyer, but can't find any info on how to do that. I think I need a more powerful magnifying glass!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:25 pm 

I got some great close up shots awhile back of read write heads. I noticed there are numbers on the side of some of them.

Attachments:
IMG_2961.JPG
IMG_2961.JPG [ 2.01 MiB | Viewed 2643 times ]
IMG_2956.JPG
IMG_2956.JPG [ 2.26 MiB | Viewed 2643 times ]
IMG_2940.JPG
IMG_2940.JPG [ 2.11 MiB | Viewed 2643 times ]
IMG_2946.JPG
IMG_2946.JPG [ 2.41 MiB | Viewed 2643 times ]
IMG_2939.JPG
IMG_2939.JPG [ 2.15 MiB | Viewed 2643 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:46 pm 

Found some good info but haven't found anything specific to rhodium:

http://209.68.14.80/ref/hdd/op/heads/techGMR-c.html

That helped me do a search and led me to this patent:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US6460243

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:34 am 

great shots

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:10 am 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_read-and-write_head#/media/File:HDD_read-write_head.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Let me quickly clarify something. We’re talking feather weight.
Somewhere in years of discussions my original post point was lost.

IF you have gone that far to where you have the loose arms there is no logical reason not to cut the heads off.

You are NOT going to scrap a few drives and buy a new car.

At the time that I first posted about it here (2014/15?) and first dedicating time to it on various sites (early 2010s) it was an expensive commodity lost in the standard shred and melt approach to hard drive recycling.
That’s a method no longer used by any final destination recovery company of size anywhere in the world.

Today with the value fluxing in the low 10,000s per ounce it’s still worthwhile if you have other sources as well or go through a large number of drives (hundreds, not dozens) in a year.

As for ratios?
Smaller drives have smaller arms. Smaller ram smaller brace. so you get a greater % per weight.
2”-3.5” drives tend to use the same heads for the same platter materials.

Heads from glass platter drives are slightly more valuable than low end aluminium drives.
Speciality disk drives like the 3” plastic-film-sealed-platter HAMR WORM drives of various military’s equipment are better value still.

There’s lots of expensive and fancy elements in tech. The question is always how much time someone is willing to put into it
Following closely by how long you’re willing to wait to get enough.

The further away you get from consumer buyers: the better the values get.
And the worse the general ‘tude will be in dealing with ignorance and confusion.

When you look at selling 100 lbs of clean heads you’re going to get the occasional big-guy bite on your offering.
But before you do so I suggest researching precious metals recovery as a business, not a hobby. Understanding commodities, the stock markets, and the basics of trans-banking.
Because you want to walk in knowing to ask:spread, slide, loss, convergence, and float.
And know what they all mean.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:30 pm 

Thanks for the added info Lost!

I'm trying my best :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Because you want to walk in knowing to ask:spread, slide, loss, convergence, and float.

Actually let’s look at that. As a basic introduction.

Spread: the difference between the value and the offered payment.
It is based on the materials value and not the commodities value.
We buy gold shops tend to be at 50% or worse. Most large refineries run between 80% and 92% if they’re not open to the public. Anyone tells you 96% or better is lying to you.

Slide: The percentage limit of gain or loss from the rate at the time of contract to the rate at the time of processing.
Less than 10% is fairly standard. I’ve seen 3-8.
Nearly everyone has a positive slide (the price dropped) but not everyone has a negative (they pay you more if the price goes up).

Loss: a flat rate fee up front or percentage of final assay. It covers the labour and materials of the processing.
Not all percentage vase loss fees are a sign of a bad situation but I do suggest you seriously reconsider.
You’ll find percent based loss on higher value materials, such as rhodium.

Convergence: the handling of non-target materials and distribution of recovery value.
Often found on very low value materials. But good to know at all levels.
To make an easy example, payout for brass and copper in gold plated jewellery.
Or steel from gold plated pins.

Finally, float: this is the hardest one to deal with. Commercial refining is a continuous process. Float is the amount of material that isn’t yours that will be part of the process. And there’s two percentages here.
The physical crossover level. How much of the previous process is your material added to. Which is also how much will be added to yours.
The other is the (new term: buffer) return level.
If you’re sale is 100lbs of gold plated copper 486DX4 pins at a 1.1:1 ratio and the previous is 100lbs if 18kt plated rings and the next is 100 lbs of 1.5:1 dental fillings… you see how that is important in timed assay pulls.

Both float values should be in writing. Often but not always depicted eg 50/90.
In this case there’s half the material left and half added after and the buffer is 90%. Meaning they could tweak the base estimate by 90%
In other words, run!
Such numbers are non-existent from any company looking to stay in business but it makes a nice scary example. No?
;)

It’s rare to find float beyond 5-15 percent or so in practice but it’s good to have it in writing. 5/20 is the worst I’ve seen from a high level non-public-facing company.