Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:31 pm

Post subject: Newbie, TV boards
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:03 pm 

Hi! Basically, I saw thubprint’s video on Scrapping A Flatscreen TV on YouTube, and he mentioned this site. I don’t know if I’m posting in the right place and I have 0 knowledge of boards, but I do have a TV chock full of em and a screwdriver. Does anyone know if there is a possibility of any value in the boards/parts of a Sony 40 inch TV, Model LC-37D43U, or should I just recycle? Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Newbie, TV boards
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:59 pm 

There's not going to be a huge amount of scrap value in a TV but there is value. If the TV works there's potentially more resale value and if it's not working there may be value for parts. If you just drop it off at a recycle center then there's no value or possibly negative value as some recycling places charge to accept TVs (depends on where you are).

Personally I try to avoid accepting TVs/monitors so I don't have to worry about the glass and plastic.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:00 am 

Take a look at this post and see if the boards inside yours are similar.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21649

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:03 pm 

Staples will take monitors and small TVs for recycling for free. I do scrap monitors and flat screen TVs. However, I don't know any place that will take larger TV tubes for free. For the TVs and monitors that I do scrap, I just take the boards and wires and screw it back together and bring it to Staples.

I've disassembled a DLP rear projection TV, but there's a lot of plastic that you will need to throw away, and I don't know any place near me that will buy clean plastic scrap, let alone recycle it for free, so I break it into pieces and put it in the garbage (which costs money). I don't deal with flat screen TVs anymore because to discard the junk, I need to break it which makes a mess. As for lamps containing mercury, I take those to a local hazardous waste dropoff along with fluorescent tubes.

Some people suggest just tossing the guts into the shred pile at the scrapyard. I'm pretty sure most scrapyards don't want TVs because most of the weight is glass and plastic, so don't do that.

As for CRTs, please don't discard tubes in the landfill as there's a lot of lead and phosphor dust that is bad for the environment and also bad for health if broken.