Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:05 pm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:42 pm 

Hi all,
first up, I have a bunch of these boards from a wall telecom system. They had a bunch of transformers on them but have been removed. Would these still be considered low grade telecom with the dead weight removed?

Next is the read head from the 11" hard drive I have disassembled. There is what looks like some kind of small ceramic IC's with gold legs that were over the platters. Really not sure on how to categorize these.

Next there is this what looks like copper wire coil that was on the reader head that retracts the heads from the platters. Looks a lot like gold plating but looking for opinions on this as well.

Thanks again for your opinions and advice...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:35 pm 

Did you hit up Lost? I think he was interested in the drive.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:55 pm 

marked141 wrote:
Did you hit up Lost? I think he was interested in the drive.

I did, I have two more of these 11" drives that I have not touched yet and another system that he might be interested in but have not heard back yet. Thanks again for that...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:16 pm 

Cool!

The two boards I'm leaning high peripheral; the one that says series-3, mainly because the board itself appears to be lower quality and the one that says series-1 because I'm not sure how much weight the DC-DC converter is adding. Gold pins in the connectors could help bring it up but I'm still not certain enough to say it will. No gold pins and I feel like high peripheral is more certain.

The read/write arms. Wow those look cool; I need to find one of these big guys one day.
The ICs likely need to be quoted by boardsort if you end up removing them from the flexible material.
The tips of the arms have a white ceramic slider. Maybe I'm being overly optimistic but there's a small black rectangle in each one. That may be the rhodium bearing part which is huge compared to modern drives. Rhodium is currently priced around $16K so definitely set aside the whole slider at least if you tear these down.
The body of the arm is likely aluminum and then some steel or stainless.
The green board doesn't appear to have much on it; midgrade, maybe low peripheral if the nuts come off and there's something interesting on it?
Not sure where the flexible material would fall exactly. May depend on what's in it, if you can figure that out, or if the ICs stay on it and if there's anything else on it.
Doubtful there's gold on the coil, it's likely just a coating to separate the windings. If you haven't checked take a file to it to confirm copper.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:04 pm 

Thanks for your knowledge once again. The boards do have connector ends with pins but not still sure if they would make the low grade telecom grade.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:37 pm 

You're welcome! And yeah, I'm still in the same place for how I'd grade them.