Welcome to Boardsortâ„¢ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:58 pm

Post subject: Opinions Wanted
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 7:44 pm 

Hey everyone. I am starting a hobby with e-scrapping and need some advise. There is a LOT of information on this forum and many many opinions so I am a little confused. Am I going to make more selling boards whole, or should I remove parts and sell THEM individually? What should I remove from the boards? Gold Fingers? what do I do with the rest of the board if I take stuff off? As you can tell I have more questions then answers. I have attached the boards I have access too for view. Please understand that if I miss a poitn you are making or aska question, it is because I suffer from a traumatic brain injury... So some things are slower for me to grasp.
Attachment:
IMG_4505.jpg
IMG_4505.jpg [ 2.73 MiB | Viewed 615 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_4506.jpg
IMG_4506.jpg [ 2.43 MiB | Viewed 615 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_4507.jpg
IMG_4507.jpg [ 2.7 MiB | Viewed 615 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_4508.jpg
IMG_4508.jpg [ 3.27 MiB | Viewed 615 times ]

Post subject: Re: Opinions Wanted
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:39 pm 

If you are only dealing with boardsort for your scrap circuit boards then usually these rules apply:
Always remove batteries.
Anything soldered to the board likely should stay on the board.
Anything socketed to a board will probably be removed from the board.
Anything screwed to the the board may or may not need to be removed.
Gold fingers generally should stay on a board.

But of course there's always exceptions to any rule.

img4505 has steel screwed onto the corners of the board and in this case should be removed. This board will be at least low telco grade.

img4506 has 3 batteries (?why?), a socketed RAM stick and a large aluminum heatsink. Do remove batteries, do remove the RAM and Do remove the aluminum. It looks like screws were already taken off so it should be easy to pull the aluminum. Also I see you blacked out numbers; probably not necessary, and may even hinder the ability of someone to grade your boards because sometimes knowing what a chip is will change a grade. Oh and that small heatsink, in this case, probably won't make a difference but you can remove that if you want. Not sure what grade this will be since there's a large area hidden by the heatsink.

img4507 RAM, don't remove anything it's perfect the way it is.

img4508 That is a socketed CPU just need a small flathead screwdriver to unlock the socket and lift the chip out.

If you have found one or multiple buyers who will buy specific components from your boards, then you have to weigh whether it's worth stripping boards and sending those components to each of those buyers. Some boardsort members have done this, I avoid removing components as much as I can.