Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 3:22 pm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:53 pm 

Not sure. Visible gold but gigantic caps and transformers. Feels somewhere between mid and peripheral. I will pull the heavy items if anyone thinks that's gonna help the grade. Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.47 MiB | Viewed 27150 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.58 MiB | Viewed 27150 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.53 MiB | Viewed 27150 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.57 MiB | Viewed 27150 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

If you pull the transformers and large canister capacitors (and the big heatsink) it should clear peripheral. Those server style power boards are a pain.

Btw the transformer coils should fetch copper yoke rate and the caps usually get aluminium #3 rate ate most yards. So still some value in the removals too.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:34 pm 

That was my thought. I got some work ahead of me lol. I have like 15 of these boards. I may leave them together and sell them local. I haven't decided yet. Limited profit increase for all the picking and pulling I'll have to do. My local guys usually price on site and may give me a bump from mid grade for the pins. I have another one I'm wondering if it makes telco lots of chips and mlcc.

Attachments:
File comment: Telco? Or peripheral
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.81 MiB | Viewed 27127 times ]
File comment: Telco or peripheral? Same board different angle
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.54 MiB | Viewed 27127 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:33 am 
Site Admin

I'm fairly certain is telco. I'd personally pull the two big al caps to make certain though.
Breakout board.

Cant find the ic code in my list (maybe to new?)
What's the board from? About the only thing I could figure is a rack mount backup but the capacitors are really small for that. Maybe off a music rack? Just wondering.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:40 am 

It was inside the same power supply unit as the first board connected by the pins on the side. I'm not totally sure what the function is. It was all one large unit with 6-7 power supply's mounted on top of each other in a drawer like situation all connected by a backpane expansion board. I bought it from a local scrap yard who bought it as light iron and were more than happy to sell it for 6 cents a lb. all tell I paid 12$ for two of them and should be fine money wise. I've already removed about 10lbs of aluminum and 3-4 lbs of #2 copper from them. There is easily enough metal to cover cost and net me some. Then all the boards are a bonus.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:53 am 

The funny part is I will be bringing the metal back to the same yard to sell. I don't think they realized the amount of good metal that was inside. Or they just didn't care to. But most of the weight is in the wound transformers and alum heatsinks. I'll post a pic of the monster heatsinks I had already removed from the first board. 2+lbs each and two per board. :). Id say I'm winning. All from a relationship that began by a scrap yard noticing me dumping off a truckload of empty towers every few days. Then asking if I knew what to do with the boards. Lol. Yes. Yes sir I do.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:58 am 

Lots of good pm recovery inside too. Silver contacts the size of dimes. And nice gold plated pieces that slide right out of the connectors.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.73 MiB | Viewed 27104 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Now it all makes sense. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:19 pm 

those power supply boards are mid-grade. I would clip board around the pins (assuming they are gold plated) and throw them in with backplane. Then you can break the board down as far as you want from there... which i would recommend since there is so much copper on that board.

The other board is probably going to be peripheral unless the backside has a bunch of IC's on it. If the back has nothing on it, Id say 75% chance that it is peripheral... never hurts to ask though.

Telecom is generally only give out to boards that have a high IC chip count and little to no extraneous heavy metal parts like inductors or transformers.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:36 am 

As per my knowledge if you ll pull the transformers and large canister capacitors it should clear peripheral.
And between the transformer coils should fetch copper yoke rate and the caps usually get aluminium rate ate most yards. So still some value in the removals too.