Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:08 am

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:29 pm 

You can still remove the gold pins and chips though and sell them to boardsort though

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:08 am 

thanks for the heads up about the iron hematite...i googled it...very interesting...thanks..and yes i will remove gold teeth and the few ic chips i see...takes a while to get a pound though...i used to get more and bigger ic's off tv boards

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:26 am 

their general guideline is that if there is a number of big heavy items on the board, it will go as mid-grade.

In this particular case, if you remove all the copper you "might" get peripheral for the board... id say you'd have a 50/50 shot if you did that. if you dont get peripheral, it would still be mid-grade, so you got nothing to loose.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:43 pm 

I always just remove everything of value in situations like these. Too many questions and uncertainties. Remove gold, transformers and chips and throw it with mid grade. it isn't often you can remove gold without downgrading a board so I like to come across stuff like this. Maybe that's just me. Lol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:59 pm 
Site Admin

I over sort everything (so everyone tells me), and have a relatively friendly yard as my nonferrous buyer. So ive had things scanned most people would never think of. Hematite ferrite, magna something or other. Found silver in plastic (lcd backings), silver in glass, (lenses, laser arrays) and all sorts of other nifty stuffs. :)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:37 am 

lostinlodos wrote:
I over sort everything (so everyone tells me), and have a relatively friendly yard as my nonferrous buyer. So ive had things scanned most people would never think of. Hematite ferrite, magna something or other. Found silver in plastic (lcd backings), silver in glass, (lenses, laser arrays) and all sorts of other nifty stuffs. :)

Wish my yard was like that, but they don't have time to scan *everything* I bring them, generally very friendly though here!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:02 am 
Site Admin

I only do it when I'm bringing in PM stuff and they have to scan it anyway, so occasionally I'll toss them something that didn't spark right when i was cutting it, or smelled different under the heat gun etc. And never much. Been doing this work long enough to know when something is 'off' so I'll put it aside and ask down the road.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:44 pm 

the iron hematite is different than ferrite?....i know ferrite is pretty common but what do you do with yours?...im saving the hematite now just in case...the ferrite i dont want to mix with empty computer cases which go a clean lt fe..otherwise known as baling scrap

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 1:32 pm 

wil be good if somebody post examples of hermatite for properly stack. at fisrt look they look the same those yellow taped transformers, donut coils from power supplies, fly backs from tv boards, inverters etc.are all those hermatite? how much are those yadrs paying for the pound?

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

Yes ferrite and hematite are different.

Ferrite runs in the clean iron range on the high end, somewhere around 15-20¢/lb if your yard takes it separately; most don't.

Hematite is around $1.20-$1.50 depending on the bonding clay, as an average. It's actually a porcelain in finished form.
Full range is from 50c-$5 depending on secondary materials such as nickel (rare), manganese (common in electrical environments), tungsten (also common) etc, and the amount of silicates.
Much like stainless, and aluminium there are many grades and classes and you'll probably see two or three (low, mid, high) if at all.

Best dumps for hematite are non-fero yards that buy gold silver and nickel etc.