Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

Post subject: Hard drive
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:08 pm 

I’ve got a few 1TB hard drive I pulled from scrapped desktops that I want to hang onto and use. I just installed one and went to install windows and ran into an issues I’ve never had before...google wasn’t super helpful so thought maybe somebody here had insight. It’s a 1TB hard drive but windows can’t install cause it’s only showing 1 partition at less than 4GB Available. There is no other unallocated space showing (to creat a new partition for example). What the heck is going on and how do I find all that hard drive space to use the drive lol

Things that prob don’t matter but in case hey do: hard drive either came from a desktop or a server. And there is nothing on the jumper pins. “Seagate 1000GB desktop hdd”

Post subject: Re: Hard drive
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

First if you want to use someone else’s hard drive do more than a quick format. Something every tech learns the hard way at some point is data remains can cause problems so do a full format.

Modern windows requires gpt. Most copies of 8 and 10 have the option if you do an advanced install. Which isn’t all that advanced, just more options.
7 you will need pro or ultra to do a gpt partition from setup and xp only allows it in the MCE versions. XP and 7 had other tricks for making large hard drives work before GPT was popular.

If you can’t get it done from an actual install disc download GParted. It’s a bootable she’ll for formatting. One of the most trusted free programs available and used in many Linux and BSD installers.
Set the partition map to GPT and the file system to NTFS or RFS.
Then when it’s done try windows again.