Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

Post subject: Silver Plated Copper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:08 pm 

I have a entire tea set from long ago but its only the thick silveplate on copper, the company really wanted people to know I guess because they engraved or etched, Silver plated on Copper, and Copper Base.

Whether this was done to prevent people selling them as sterling etc. But I cut into one and its only copper no golden brass color to be found.

So my question is, you buy silver plated brass do buy silver plated copper, or should I refine it myself by reverse Electroplating than melting down the copper because im unsure on local laws for scrap yards on this type of stuff.

Yes, I own it. Believe it or not someone was about to throw it away after cleaning out house. I knew there was some money in it and after asking the person gladly offered it to me.

Im unsure of the exact date but I believe 1800s, its worth little to no money to collectors because one piece is missing.

Post subject: Re: Silver Plated Copper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

Boardsort typically takes copper and brass plating as the same rate. In general. I’ve sent poor Chris everything from switches to spoons.

At most yards that sort the two there’s little variation between them. 15č or less.

Locally I found silver plated copper gets a rate and plated brass goes as #2 copper. Go figure.

You’re over a pound so my suggestion is to email Chris directly with a photo.
If he says no reverse electroplating is my current choice for all silver plate.

Post subject: Re: Silver Plated Copper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:09 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Boardsort typically takes copper and brass plating as the same rate. In general. I’ve sent poor Chris everything from switches to spoons.

At most yards that sort the two there’s little variation between them. 15č or less.

Locally I found silver plated copper gets a rate and plated brass goes as #2 copper. Go figure.

You’re over a pound so my suggestion is to email Chris directly with a photo.
If he says no reverse electroplating is my current choice for all silver plate.

Thanks for info man. Total weight is around 7 pounds. Ill have to cut down the pieces to fit my setup for reverse Electroplating. I figured with copper being at $3.56 spot price would be worth more but its all good ill remove the silver, leave the copper in water for a day than dryband thrown in my number 2 bucket if it doesnt need to be melted down due to laws or regulations here.