Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:01 am

Post subject: Low grade boards
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:27 pm 

What do you experienced people do with low grade boards?? I’m talking about a box full and not a pallet or truck full??? Beginner stuff!!

Post subject: Re: Low grade boards
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

I strip the majority of anything below peripheral. Removing copper, brass, aluminium, nickel, tin, lead, etc. I now am removing CMCs since boardsort is buying them. Previously it wasn’t worth it to me to do so having to use yet another company for it.

I sell the remains as either steel shred or electrical shred locally.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:52 am 

Do you sell your connector ends or just harvest the pins?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

For a long time I left them on the wire for one yard that prefers the ends on anything other than extension cable.
Some point in the last year or two I started pulling pins out of quick and easy cables, like clip lock ribbon cables, when the price of pins went from averaged to set.

With connector ends at $1ish most of my cable ends come off for connector ends now. Except for very high grade wire that is well over a few bucks per pound.

I still pull pins from snap and clip lock cables because it’s so easy, snip each side with a wire cutter, and yank on the end. The ends fall apart and you collect the loose pins. SCSI pins add up quickly. So do old base network t junction pins.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:46 pm 

Thank You! One more ? Are the wires inside PC’s just copper with a coating? I see a lot of videos saying just throw them in with #2 insulated, all the ones I check look aluminum or maybe silver? Small wires like that my yard pays #2 low recovery, I have actually been throwing them in alum wire insulated which is 20c lb compared to 60c lb for #2 LR!!

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 11:37 pm 

Yes, it is copper wire with a plating. I do not exactly know what it is though.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:48 am 
Site Admin

In the last 25 years or so it’s rather easy to narrow down wiring.
Roughly 80 some odd percent of wiring is what’s generically called base level in Sales and marketing.
Wires here fall as copper, tin plated copper, and copper plated aluminium.
~29 percent remaining is aluminium.
That fraction of a point is ultra high end stuff. Not available to the public, and not available to general consumer computer companies.

Falcon uses silver core copper cables for some board to board interconnect wires.
And hand built from scratch companies like HiD and U-audio have contracts with ultra high end companies; using solid gold and silver wiring.

The fastest way to figure out wiring is to get a good filet knife (cuisinart ceramics are my choice). Simply cut the wire ends on a long angle.
Boardsort like most companies takes wires as one flat rate.
Some higher level companies take the time to sort wires into grades based on core and plate metals. #s 1-4.

The highest tier pre-refinery companies wil have dozens of classes. But there only 20 or so companies nation wide. All principally buying from smaller lower level yards.

You’re chances of coming across gold or silver (or other PM) solid wires in the wild are nearly zero.
The most common of these custom solutions are gold, platinum, silver, and tin plated silver. But people, no matter how clueless, don’t simply toss this stuff or the system it’s in in the trash. These wires cost roughly $50-$200 per foot.

I have a single solid gold core component cable for my turntable to the tuner. And four solid gold core speaker cables from tuner to speakers.I like my analogue sound!
The “rca” cable was $$350 for 18 inches. The speaker wire was apx $100 per meter per wire.
You won’t find silver wire, let alone gold or better, in consumer systems.

There’s solid gold USB. audio, HDMI, etc. It exists but you won’t find it in an IBM or HP.

Unless you have a boutique system (CyberPower, iBuyPower, Falcon, AVD…) there’s minimal benefit in sorting it at all.
With higher end systems you can hand a filleted wire to the scale master and say ‘50lbs plated copper core’ and maybe get a higher rate.
Silver wire is non-existent after mid 90s outside of custom system builds. And your looking at contemporary prices of 50K or more for the systems with it.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 7:23 am 

Thank you, very informative!! #2 low recovery it goes. It is definitely more insulation than wire.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

For those interested here a site with some of the entry-level-hifi pricing.

westminsterlab.com/cables

And here I use entry-level as a pricing term. They’re cables are excellent!
Stuff like this is about as high end as you’ll find at a Magnolia.
Along with AudioQuest, BIN, Monster Studio, etc.

WL makes usb and FireWire cables very popular in the video production market.
The real gift here for scrap is the metal/rare eart shielding mesh in most of their cables.

Monster studio gear is quite a few levels above their consumer and prosumer products. They use a copper cable with a copper, silver, nickel mesh.

BIN makes internal computing cables. Mostly gold core copper with thick gold plate connectors. But audio, SATA, ATA, SCSI, and SAS cables are clean gold alloy.
Finding a buyer for this stuff is difficult.
But I’m sure Chris would put some effort into figuring it ou for you if you called abou, say, a few dozen heads or cables. Or more.