Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:20 pm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:48 pm 

I bought a small pallet lot of AllenBradley power supply at auction a few months ago. Each unit weighs about ten-fifteen pounds whole. It was quick work to strip on the outer case, aluminum on some, and recover the boards which is heavy with transformer and torsion coils and heavy aluminum.
Since these models were approximately 20 years old, no demand was evident on ebay, for this particular model #.
After removing the board, I was left with a transmission block, as pictured. While it has some copper and brass connectors, it didn't seem worth stripping, and I was about to toss them in the shred tin pile, when I noticed the gold pin connector sticking out of the plastic base. Also, another female connector sat on top. So I opened one. Nice little board, too good for shred at less than a dime a pound, so I opened all of them. Photos show sequence.
The bottom plastic cover popped off easily with a single blow from a hammer. Then, I used an old thin bladed butcher knife as a "chisel" to cut the boards solder connections from the transmission block.
Unfortunately, not much weight, and not a great value, but it is another pound or two into the next load, and I know what is hidden in the transmission block.

Attachments:
tb1.jpg
tb1.jpg [ 2.56 MiB | Viewed 2962 times ]
tb2.jpg
tb2.jpg [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 2962 times ]
tb3.jpg
tb3.jpg [ 2.62 MiB | Viewed 2962 times ]
tb5.jpg
tb5.jpg [ 2.82 MiB | Viewed 2962 times ]
tbfb.jpg
tbfb.jpg [ 2.27 MiB | Viewed 2962 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:31 pm 
Site Admin

My thought? Keep going on one!

See the connector bracket for the wire? tBFB right side? That’s called a Scissor crimp. Moth of the time the pegs are steel but sometimes gold plated tin.

I also wonder what’s under the giant pin socket.

But most of all, those screws. Looks to me like a silver alloy looks can be deceiving but it’s worth checking into. Especially if the metal is particularly ‘soft’.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:20 pm 

I saved the blocks, as there seems to be nothing magnetic. Ill go ahead and completely strip one, in spite of the fifty or more screws. The big plastic pops right off, leaving gold flashed Y post, all around except where covered with the solder. This step block is molded one piece, so doesn't disassemble easily

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:35 pm 
Site Admin

Yet… more gold pins! ;)

Now if the screws do turn out to be some form of silver. …?

I know it’s a lot of work but I’ve walked away with more than paying for equipment on silver alloys and silveride screws more than once.
I always test them now if the metal is at all soft. Tin is over $4 per pound alone in most of the country. And most of the common tin alloys are above $2.

So even if you pull one screw and get it tested the yard may upgrade the whole blocks out of the shred levels of junk.