Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 am

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:57 pm 

I believe I just read that Chris doesn't pay for read write hard drive heads. If I'm wrong, please correct me. My primary question is are the other pictured parts from HDDs something that Chris pays for, and if so, how should they be properly sorted? With respect to aluminum in general, I have everything from heat sinks to very thin pieces of aluminum used in a variety of ways in PCs. Should they be separated or does it matter? TIA for your assistance. I appreciate hearing from those who've done this far more often than I have.

Attachments:
IMG_0061.jpg
IMG_0061.jpg [ 117.5 KiB | Viewed 1783 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

The copper spools go as motor.

The rings can be multiple different metals but will go as the metal they are. Usually aluminium or stainless steel.

The base if all non-aluminium is removed is clean aluminium. Though older drives occasionally have magnesium or zinc shells.

The read head and arm, I’m not sure what class of metal but likely dirty aluminium or motors.

The connector can go as gold pin connector. Snip wire free for mixed wire.

The case top is almost always two metals. A thin layer of aluminium or stainless steel and thicker steel. It could be two sheets or a single sheet and some steel pieces glued under the label.
Breaking the glue is difficult so on two-ply covers with two large sheets I toss them in dirty stainless or dirty aluminium.
But with the smaller steel pieces glued to a single large piece you can bend and flex the cover a bit to easily remove the steel pieces.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:18 pm 

Thanks so much. I appreciate all your help!