Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

Post subject: Larger shipments
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:47 am 

I will probably be shipping a fairly large amount in the near future. I would like to ship on a pallet but wasn't sure if there was another company that boardsort uses for shipping aside from ups. I'm trying to ship and have the payment come out before the check is written if possible. I have a fair amount of laptops that I will need to throw on and a pallet seems to be the best way. Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: Larger shipments
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:47 am 

Are you talking about using the "Pre-Paid Discount Shipping"? I have not done this yet, but probably will on my next shipment. Did you read through the post on this topic? viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19635

The second post from Chris on that topic clears things up a lot.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:55 am 

Yep that's what I'm looking for. I've found in the past the more weight you ship the cheaper it is per pound. I've gotten it down to .25 a pound when shipping over 1000lbs. But that was back in the good Ole days when gas was half what it is now

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

The prepaid service is limited to make it easy for most people.

A few users here offer LTL service. Meaning pallets and Gaylords.
Look in The Business Side.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:27 am 

Let me chime in here, as I ship skids regularly to refineries.
If you have access to a loading dock, a normal 48x40 skid, as long as it doesn't exceed 84" tall, will run you about $125. This holds true if your skid is 300 pounds or 1200 pounds.
If you don't have a dock, the extra liftgate service will make that same skid about $300 bucks.
Moral of the story: find a friend with a warehouse.
I have used "Boardsort prepaid shipping" and it works reasonably well for packages, not necessarily for skids. They get corporate discounts from UPS/FedEx and that's where your discount comes into play. This is also a good option if you're broke and don't have the cash up front to ship things. It takes a few days for Chris to take your info and populate a shipping label, but again, worth it if you don't want to spend money out of pocket.
I would contact Chris if you didn't want to go through the motions of dealing with LTL freight on the paperwork side, maybe he could find you a cheaper rate (depending on where you are) than dealing with XPO/Old Dominion, etc directly.
There's also a user here named Gorven who is a freight broker. He is very reputable, as I have used his services before. Search for him, he has dropped his number many times and is very good about picking up the phone.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:54 pm 

I've found a local company that will allow me to ship from their warehouse. Hard to beat the price. Quoted an 800lb pallet at under $200!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Gorven Would be my default suggestion. He’s the most active of the LTL users here.

There’s a few others who have posted over the years.

There’s also uShip. An auction site to all drivers to bid down the price to haul your shipment.

You could also call Chris directly. He actually answers the phone most times!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:33 am 

lostinlodos wrote:
Gorven Would be my default suggestion. He’s the most active of the LTL users here.

If you talk to gorven about paying for shipping he'll probably work with you on that. Having never shipped anything on pallets/skids until a couple years ago I was unsure of the proper procedure and frankly was a little hesitant to send money up front (which I was never asked to do) and I offered to pay once I knew the shipment had been picked up and was on its way; which was fine with him.

I won't guarantee he'll let you pay after you get paid but never hurts to ask.