Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:39 am

Post subject: Cutting board in half?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:37 pm 

If I have several boards (of the same grade) that are too big to fit in the boxes that I have (I'm using prepaid boxes since I have a low volume), would it be acceptable to cut the boards with a hacksaw or similar to make sure they fit? If so, I would avoid any components and only saw through the circuit board.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:03 pm 

One thing to remember (which shouldn't be an issue for you based on the description of shipping) that if you break boards in half or more, and boardsort can't readily identify that the pieces are all there, they may not grade the boards as high. For instance motherboard pieces can get graded as low as midgrade if everything isn't there.

Another thing to remember is basically anything on a board can be considered a health hazard, especially if you start cutting them and create small particles. My recommendation if you plan on cutting is to find some shears to minimize particles or a knife that can help score the board before snapping along that line. I have done both sometimes together since shears don't always get all the way across. Both will still create some pieces but it's better than the copious amounts of dust from a saw.

I think batteries and mercury switches are the only things to watch out for. If mercury, don't mess with it, just treat the board as hazardous waste. Batteries are usually easily removed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

HD metal shears/snips or small LD nail/bolt cutter make really short work on sniping through boards. Just use some gloves so you don’t get scratched/cut.

As above, the biggest thing to remember is make sure both sides of the cut boards are in the same box.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:37 pm 

Thanks for the info! And if I have two different grades of boards in the same box, would using packing tape to bundle the same type (and labeling each board) be enough to keep things together? I wouldn't include any smaller components in this box.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:18 pm 
Site Admin

Minimal use of packing tap should work. I prefer zip ties myself. The goal of keeping the pieces together is they can quickly tell the set is complete and. It missing parts. So in a single flat rate box tape is probably overkill anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:14 pm 

I try to only pack the same grade in a box if I can, putting boxes in boxes if necessary. I also pack things as tightly as possible and thoroughly tape the shipment box so that even if it gets beat up it holds together.

But that's just me.