Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:41 am

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:07 pm 

Hi! I'm new here and in general to scrapping. I took a couple pics of this motherboard I want to send. I circled and numbered the areas I want to ask about, which will be numbered here respectively.

#1: There's a sticky residue left on the board from removing several black sticker type things, seen separated in the top right. In the other image, I circle one that I left intact to show the before. But you can see how removing them has left a sticky residue in many places. Should I never remove these? Is the board worth nothing now, or did removing them lower the value? If I need to remove the stickers + residue, what is the best way to do that?

#2: This has a screw keeping it in place. Should I separate and sort this, or leave it as is? If I should sort it and send separately, what would this separate part be called? Should I send the screw with it? Do you recycle screws separately?

#3: Sometimes various parts or the boards themselves have these barcode stickers. Should I remove them? If I should, and they leave a sticky residue, how should I remove that? If you want me to remove the sticker, would sending the sticker with the packing slip help identify what I have in case I make a mistake?

#4: Lithium CR2032 battery in here. Should I remove it? If so, should I send it in separately, or should it go to a separate recycling facility?

#5: These connectors are held to the board by screws. Should I leave them as-is, or remove them and send them separately? If so, what would they be called?

Lastly, these are general questions:
#6: If I get the identification incorrect, and you adjust the price to the proper item, will I be sent an email letting me know that occurs? If so, is there an extra "re-identification/re-sorting" fee?

#7: Is the general rule of thumb: "if it's attached with a screw, remove it and send separately; if it's soldered on, don't remove it"?

I'm hoping this can be the start of a master guide for Board Sort that's posted in a separate section of the site, instead of getting buried in the forum. A guide like this with pictures and specific instructions on what to do with different pieces would be SO helpful, and would remove a lot of work for the admins answering individual questions in the forums :) I'm sure this would also save a lot of work for employees handling material, too! But maybe there is a guide and I missed it! If so, please link here.

Thank you in advance!

Attachments:
IMG_5366.jpg
IMG_5366.jpg [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 6383 times ]
IMG_5365.jpg
IMG_5365.jpg [ 1.87 MiB | Viewed 6383 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Note: you need to remove the bracket for the fan and cooler. That’s the metal plate on the bottoms attracted by 2-5 screws on the top.

No need to remove the residue. Larger stickers should be removed. Anything larger than a credit card. If you have a high telco or higher class you should remove any stickers at all times.

Leave the screw in.

You can leave the smaller stickers on.

Always remove any type of battery from a board for recycling.
Little batteries like that can be safely recycled at most chain hardware stores.

They’re worth more stretches to the board so leave them on. They are gold pin connectors if separated.

You will receive a notice of acceptance once you shipment has been checked in a verified telling you your final weights and values. It’s been a while since I had an adjustment but I believe they will inform you of errors in this email.
If not, you can always email Chris with your order number and request verification on what changes. They keep fairly extensive notes.

Generally, yes. Things screwed together should be removed from the board. Exceptions are like your board above, no need to remove connectors.
Soldered stuff should nearly never be removed. Unless it’s a battery. Soldered batteries are almost universally one of they types. Two pin/lead, and 4 pin/lead. Use a small wire cutter ($2 or less) to cut the pins and free the battery.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:56 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
Note: you need to remove the bracket for the fan and cooler. That’s the metal plate on the bottoms attracted by 2-5 screws on the top.

No need to remove the residue. Larger stickers should be removed. Anything larger than a credit card. If you have a high telco or higher class you should remove any stickers at all times.

Leave the screw in.

You can leave the smaller stickers on.

Always remove any type of battery from a board for recycling.
Little batteries like that can be safely recycled at most chain hardware stores.

They’re worth more stretches to the board so leave them on. They are gold pin connectors if separated.

You will receive a notice of acceptance once you shipment has been checked in a verified telling you your final weights and values. It’s been a while since I had an adjustment but I believe they will inform you of errors in this email.
If not, you can always email Chris with your order number and request verification on what changes. They keep fairly extensive notes.

Generally, yes. Things screwed together should be removed from the board. Exceptions are like your board above, no need to remove connectors.
Soldered stuff should nearly never be removed. Unless it’s a battery. Soldered batteries are almost universally one of they types. Two pin/lead, and 4 pin/lead. Use a small wire cutter ($2 or less) to cut the pins and free the battery.

Thank you so much! This helped a lot. Appreciative of your quick response