Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

Post subject: Re: Chip ID
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:43 am 

Quote:
Sign here to verify you are the owner of the materials you are selling

One of ours, too! Big scandal a decade or so ago about them buying a huge load of stolen brass vases from a local veterans' cemetery without asking any questions. Not as vivid an image as a Tomahawk on a flatbed - but it goes to show. They caught fire a few weeks ago - not surprised as they used to just accept people chucking un-drained small gas motors into their shred pile. Bit bored and still dealing with teething kiddo (these are her LAST TWO, thank heavens), so partially-related story time! When I used to bring them stuff as a student worker for my university's physical plant, they took loads of giant boiler pumps (we're talking a dozen or so 200lb, 3-phase, super overbuilt never-fail motors) out of our unmarked Isuzu box jalopy. No IDs checked, no signing, zip. They'd just hand me a check and receipt, which I turned over to my boss.

Bear with me as I make a halfhearted case for an aerospace application for those IDTs. discoveryrecycling originally made this post a long time ago, but an active yard called Discovery Recycling in Daleville, Alabama seems pretty likely to have something to do with OP or just be their proprietor. Look at the nearby industries in Daleville. It's a hornet's nest of Military and Aerospace industries. The US Army Aviation Museum is less than 2 miles away, not to mention Fort Rucker, the US Army Aeromedical Lab, and too many more to type out - just look at the Google maps! In the same state - albeit opposite sides - as Huntsville! Discovery Recycling is listed as veteran owned, too (dun dun duuun!). Long story short, I'm pretty sure it was from a Tomahawk!

Kidding aside, I'm know it's likely something much more mundane than a scrapped-out missile. I'm sure tons of things have a need for fail-safe capability beyond the fantastical. Reality is almost always a lot more boring than it is interesting, I suppose. Then again...

Quote:
Disarm. ;)

Yeah, I still wanna know what they came out of.

Post subject: Re: Chip ID
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:33 am 
Site Admin

Ohkay. Based on the following:
I have military experience including aerospace
I’m fairly good with recognising what a board does even if I don’t know what it’s for
SRAM is never used missiles. Detonation of the boosters causes a micro emp.
Knowing the entirely of the tomahawk system it’s definitely not from that. Be it air, helo, or sam.

But realistically this has two serial ports. The cage board pictured. Both over coax. One in, one out.
To burst every bubble and bring us back to earth this is likely a reactor terminal relay with a fault cutoff in ram.
I’ve never seen a gold cap module package but
I’ve seen related smaller non-capped modules.
If I were to bet on the source I’d guess a submarine or silo.
But it could just as likely be some Uber rich early 80s tech freak who went all smart house before the term became common.
I have zero doubt the posted board is solely a terminal relay.