Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

Post subject: Goofed again
PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:20 pm 

Attachment:
bat-b.jpg
bat-b.jpg [ 1.19 MiB | Viewed 9080 times ]
Attachment:
bat-a.jpg
bat-a.jpg [ 936.84 KiB | Viewed 9080 times ]
After boasting about getting 18 boards from one piece of equipment, I have been brought down to earth: I ain't so all persnickerty intuitive about what to buy after all. Last time, I bought a pallet that had some filters that no one could ever use, some toner cartridges that may eventually find either a home in a copier far far away, or else wind up in the landfill after losing their aluminum rollers. I bid on the lot because the listing said "3 server boxes." With the load I had to haul already topped out, the warehouse guy told me there was another pallet, but it wouldn't fit, so I left without it, and since I have a good forgetter, when I don't remember to use it, I promptly forgot to go back the following week to finish out the haul.
Today, as I was picking up recent purchases, the cashier reminded me I had a pallet from last time, so I agreed to get it. I tried to load the three, one piece at a time, and discovered I am a weakened old man. I couldn't even pick up the unit, which was about double the size of a regular turn of the century computer tower. The warehouse forklift operator helped me, and together we got it NOT LOADED, so a second trip had to be arranged, with an empty truck so the forklift could load what 600 pounds of men couldn't.
Got it home, disassembled one and was so disappointed. The only boards were two small powersupply boards, worth maybe 45 cents for both of them, and since there are three server boxes, I guess I will get $1.65 for the haul of boards from this buy. Now you can see why I am disappointed!
But a fellow has to grin and accept it when he makes a huge mistake like that. I am trying to put on a brave face, and look at the bright side, and keep telling myself that although there were no good boards, at least there was 315 pounds of lead batteries in each unit, for a total of 945 pounds @21 cents per pound. $200 will buy a bit of consolation, and it cheers me up to know that I am not as bad off physically as I thought, when I couldn't pick up 350 pounds.
Sorry, Boardsort guys. I figure I need to sell those locally and concentrate on bringing boards on the 1200 mile round trip.

(Three of these battery trays in each unit, each tray weighing 100+ pounds)

Post subject: Re: Goofed again
PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:58 pm 

nice i dont know what you had in them but im always glad to get a good amount of stuff to sell localy .

what really caught my attention.....
was
the truck in the pictures? cause it looks like mine.[im also a junk-man ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:59 pm 

I generally buy only the lots that no one else wants to bid on, unless I can establish value but even then I rarely go higher than most folks will pay for a sitdown meal at a nice restaurant. This particular deal cost me about a starbucks coffee, or a burger and cola off the dollar menu at mickey 'd's.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:41 am 
Site Admin

Nice ups/stabilisers from a commercial solution. These are ‘sealed’ so if your local yard is large enough you may get a higher “car battery” rate for them.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:58 pm 

Locally they brought 23 cents a pound, but my estimate was off. Each unit contained 20 batteries, rather than the 21 (7-7-6) and although the tray had a sticker giving the weight as 109 pounds, it must have included the tray weight itself, as the final tall y was 75 pounds less than the posted tray weights.
Here is a tip that may work at your local scrap yard to boost the price a little bit. When you have a few hundred pounds of a special alloy or metal that is not often encountered, call the big man in the office, before showing up at the scales. Tell him how much weight you have, and ask what he can pay for the load. Usually, that will get you anywhere from 3 to 10 cents more per pound than their published rate.