Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 pm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:52 am 

Local ad for free flat screen tv's with cracked screens. Only about 80 of them, at a Self-Storage facility. No idea if they still have boards. Advertised as great for scrappers for metal recycling. Inquired as to size: most are the 70 to 80 inch size. Newer, lighter weight units...So do I want to wait...procrastinate then berate my self when they are gone, or do I want to bet. get. then regret ?
I have disassembled one midsized one~ 4ft model and had fun. It was light enough to pick up one-handed.
Maybe I will go ahead and get all I can carry in one Ford F150 load of free, probably a dozen or so. If they have boards, great. If not, can go to the scrap yard much faster...besides, got some ideas for the diffuser panels and led strings, if any. Of course, you know what I can do with the boards, if there are any.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:52 pm 
Site Admin

Your cost is time and fuel. (And a trip to some licensed location to dump the toxic screens).
TVs are too much trouble to sell due to the constant changes in shipping rates at all 5 big shippers.
One tv gives me a few bucks in scrap.
Besides if you know they work aside from the screens you can always sell parts.
Power boards and I/O boards are always easy selling.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:01 am 

I didn't get any of them. We had Southern snow, a couple inches, where the weatherman was predicting no accumulation, so the roads had not been salted, which means almost impossible to drive with the unknowing ones sliding everywhere. By the time roads cleared, seller had posted sold. So then I looked at the photo in the ad. Just like she said, good for metal recycling. electronics already stripped.
(while writing this post, I noticed the message body bar to the left of the page, which stated the message may contain no more than 60 thousand characters. Just curious how many pages that would actually be. Just a rough guess, but I think this short post is about 700 )

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:17 pm 
Site Admin

Not as many as you may think. Notes like that tend to be single slot ascii characters. “ when I typed the icon for it on the keyboard was only one vertical character. But under bbc code it’s 4. /‘ /‘
...grr still not right. I move on.
If it’s displayed in wiki 60000 could be as small as 5000 displayed or less.
And so often the user has no idea. Just typing along, look at the screen and see your post is cut off.
Isn’t technology great?

Glad you didn’t win. Without the boards it’s just chrome plated 405. Less than 3 cents per pound.