Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:28 pm 

Took a trip to my favorite 7day a week open, 3rd world country of a scrap yard for some pocket money, and again I'm looking at this pile of pro grade looking stage lights, (should've taken pictures but I didn't) they have heavy bases the size and shape of workstation desktops, with ps-2 serial, and a large (6"-8") light with color lenses in a controlled yoke, im suspecting some peripheral boards, they're heavy units so there's some shred value there, maybe structural aluminum like heavy flatscreens.

The old man says the "disco lamps" "wurk"
And they're $10 each, I don't care if they "wurk" cuz I've watched them sit in the rain in a pile for at least a couple months, so $10 seems to Rich to me, but what can I pay for these, anyone have experience opening these units, the ps-2 serial make me wonder if the bases could be basically desktops, that accept a monitor have Mobo, memory, ect.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:07 am 
Site Admin

I’m not quite sure what you’re talking about.
But
As for lighting and controllers themselves:
If you’re looking at pro club lighting or tour lighting equipment you’ll be looking at peripheral, mid, an low.
Casings tend to be a stainless in the “high speed” classes. Aluminium would melt with any halogen lighting that uses voltage steppers.
More consumer/independent level stuff like DJ lighting tends to be even worse.

In general unless you know (the question says you don’t) exactly what it is your scrapping on that kind of stuff simply walk away.
$10 a piece? Someone is taking advantage of you. I may pay a penny a pound without bulbs and consider it worthwhile.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:28 am 

That was his "retail" price since they "wurk" I think I'm going to go back today or tomorrow and try to pick one up for 5 just out of curiosity,

Upon further retrospection it's probably club type units, for a minute I had a job hanging stage light, and these units are too heavy to be hung,

These could even be laser show units, uggh, I'm gonna have to just buy one

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:04 pm 
Site Admin

Sounds accurate. I’m surprised he’d rather sell them. Unless they are less than 5 years old and thus have no business being in a scrap yard working.
Those steel drum canister lights are an expensive class of steel. I’d have every free employee pulling that stuff apart.
For $5 I’d be with you on buying one out of curiosity.
If you do please post photos. I’m dyeing to know. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:47 pm 

I haven't bought one yet, but I don't think they're going anywhere,

I have another "how much can I pay for" question

Complete units, desktop, laptop, and rackmount, per unit.

I finally got a decent nibble off Craigslist, at least a positive initial interaction that wasnt "I want to buy your "I buy escrap" "

Now Im awaiting photos and inventory of what they have, and need to figure out what to give them for it, I know how I'm going to handle loose boards and cpu's but I haven't bought any complete units at scrap prices and having a hard time wrapping my head around it.

Is $1/$2 a piece too little for generic cheap desktops, like Dell optiplex that aren't old enough to have large socket mobo's?

What about incompletes (missing memory, or harddrive?)

I'm assuming that laptops would be equivelant in value, being lighter but higher value components (at least Mobo)

Contact described some of it as "equipment" in initial contact, expecting servers and networking gear, which I have ZERO experience with, don't know what the standard units to expect are or what'd inside,

Would $5 each be right for rackmount boxes? Are they even guaranteed to have telecom grade boards?

Thanks for any advice you can offer, hopefully I can horsetrade the volume that I can't collect myself,