Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 pm

Post subject: Certificate of recycling
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:29 pm 

Was asked recently by a friend if I was interested in recycling material from the business he works at. He said his company would want a Certificate of Recycling (not Destruction) and that most of the material was blank boards and IC chips.

I looked a little online to get an idea of what that might entail but has anyone ever done this themselves that could offer guidance or a good online resource that I may have missed?

I see there's been very little discussion on the topic here and that was in terms of CoD not CoR. Does Boardsort ever give either of those?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

A certificate of destruction is a detailed notice of specific steps and procedures taken to comply with a standard; of which there are many.

A certificate of recycling is basically a piece of paper that touts a company as being green.
There are occasional legal reasons for having a certificate of recycling, such as in complicated with an epa or court order. In such cases you will need to have the final recycler issue a letterhead notice.

Generally (not court/giver) you can do a CoR yourself for them though. Just grab some nice paper from FedEx or Office MaxDepot or whatever, and type up a notice of destination.
Your name
Your company (DBA your name if no company)
Address
Phone number

Notice of intent. Final destination (BS) in your chain of custody. List of materials. Statement the materials have been dispersed.

FE: tracking number

This is not legal advice. If in doubt ask a lawyer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:46 pm 

That is generally what I was seeing with my online search. Thanks for the info.

Have you ever needed to do that for anyone?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:08 pm 
Site Admin

I had a local company some years back that asked for a CoR in exchange for mostly-free materials.
They wanted a list of process for the deconstruction and end location for parts.
I’ve also picked up a few eBay classified dumps over the years (Free for a CoR).
I’ve never had an issue but that doesn’t mean I’m correct. I ran it by a family member in legal who said worst case have documentation and evidence. Due diligence outweighs ignorance.

Most states don’t even regulate CoD. I’ve issued them in Illinois and Indiana in the past. I just maintained photo evidence of the data destruction process. That’s how I learned the best ways to zap out IC chips. A high end bulldog shredder makes short work of IC chips as well as any ball mill. But board sort isn’t going to pay for powdered computer parts.
Actually most of my gold refining attempts came from CoD orders. Since I was left with pounds of powder and shards.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:11 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
I’ve never had an issue but that doesn’t mean I’m correct.

Understood, not sure how far I'll get with this particular venture but I appreciate the help.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:08 pm 

Marked, to add to lostinlodos's point, different states have different rules with regard to how funds are distributed via that states feduciary authority.
In New York State, companies can be paid for all weight received throughout the year ("credited"), usually on the order of .15-.20/lb. In order to get this money, you usually have to be R2 or E-Stewards certified, which is a glorified ISO 14001 certification. As part of adhering to that, the CoRD is an administrative tool for keeping track of weights in and out, and usually has some legaleze on it that is straight lifted from the regulations to make the bureaucrats happy. It also helps when it comes time to file an annual report.
So, if you want to be legit about it and you have a facility, doesn't matter how large, you should look into one of those certifications.

This is one of those ethical dilemmas that only you can make the call on.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 3:15 pm 

I can help guide you through the process if you want.
I also have several examples of what different CoRD reports look like and can share them with you. They more than anything just act as an acknowledgement of weight received/sent and a breakdown into different categories of what was sent/received.
You can email me at my user name within gmail if you want to take this offline.
You should look into the regulations in your state, as Lost had mentioned. Some places are tough (NY,CA,MA,etc.) while other states don't care at all (most of the midwest). In TX, you can straight up mill and burn electronic waste in the open.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

From the records side I would suggest accuteck
Actual accuteck systems.
They were bought out a few years ago and the brand still exists in random new products. But the originals are extremely highly rated across multiple industries.
The portable dock scale choices from 400lbs up to 5000 pound choices tend to be the sweet spot.
Many support connected via RS232 platforms (serial: game port, rj-11 or 20-pin). With a serial to USB adaptor every modern OS can recognise them as a serial HID.

These scale systems are reliable, dependable, and most are still under warranty. With an unheard of elsewhere 12-yr parts and labour extension on many nos units.
The desktop postal scales are notoriously finicky and require a workaround (on, tare, push down hard, tare) to reset but the dock systems are the highest rated scales line ever made.
9.4 on dontwasteyourmoney, 99 at consumer reports. 97 from recycling today! Being a true serial system they work on and with every output method from the 1970s cp/m, DOS, Unix up to windows 11, MacOS, and RTOS today.

Plug it into a simple Brother receipt printer and you have a record of intake. Complete with date and time.

New old stock can be found on Amazon and ebay. Sealed, they come with and comply with USDA weights recording. Though your state may require recertification.

I have the 500 lb dock and the 120 pound mail scales. And they are still verifiably accurate (after the work around) after almost a decade. I keep an 800 in my truck’s tire and storage just incase I ever have a problem with a buyer (or seller).

Pro tip, look for one that is advertised with the warranty card. These have the extended warranty and can be fixed by the the current company if you somehow manage to damage one.

Dock scales are accurate to .01 oz up to 2lb and .5 ounce from 2lb to the max

Post scales are accurate to .01 oz up to 10 lbs and .2 oz up to max.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:22 am 

Thearchivebooks wrote:
In TX, you can straight up mill and burn electronic waste in the open.

Lucky me?

All the guy said was a CoR. If that really doesn't have to be that fancy (and in a state that let's e-waste burn) then hopefully I don't need much.

Hopefully it's all stuff that just goes straight to Boardsort.

CoR/Ds typically are given to the entity once the material has been received or when you've processed the material or some combination? I assume at least after it's processed (weighed and determined where stuff is going) but maybe not?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

A cert of recycling means the materials have been sent, not delivered, to a recycler.
They’re not regulated at the national level in any way.

Cert of destruction is a different game. While not regulated, there’s compliance reasons behind it. Like data privacy and protection.
It’s why Atari put ET under concrete. Why IBM created an artificial reef. And why Osborn Computers can be found in a volcano.

As a side note, none of those dumps destroyed data!!!!!! Et was recovered. Those old server drives still have soft partitions. And the fire Osbornes got auctioned off.

Use a paid version of BCWipe to kill a hard drive 24-pass hex works wonders. For IC chips, just over-volt them. Poof, dead.

In reality, generally nobody cares. If it’s not the government or a law firm or some tech company, basic data protection is all the more effort you need do, see last paragraph.
Now if the government handed me ton of data devices… I’d be ball milling shredded shards for an acid bath before a bleach melt. Lol!