Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 5:38 pm

Post subject: Laptop Motherboards
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:33 pm 

In the e-scrap prices the popup photo to identify a laptop motherboard is one with a socket are all laptop motherboard basically exactly as the category states "Laptop Motherboards" and not only laptop motherboards with an integrated cpu? This is the photo that pops up when clicking the Laptop Motherboards category.

Attachment:
1027.jpg
1027.jpg [ 30.17 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]

Post subject: Re: Laptop Motherboards
PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:58 pm 
Site Admin

If you post a picture of you’re a we could tell you.
Generally it’s the idea of being “a portable computer” which eliminates ultralights and netbooks as well as tablets.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:07 pm 

I just have a ton of laptops that I kept for parts and are now obsolete looking to make room and was looking to see if i need to do any sorting beyod the fact they are laptop motherboards.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:11 pm 

They all could fit into the other motherboard categories but the laptop motherboard category through me off, if it's literally straight out of a laptop that would put into the "laptop MOtherboards" category correct? Obviously besides chromebooks ie netbooks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:15 pm 
Site Admin

Correct. Part of the backend issue is a bunch of companies had a short run of cross-over laptops that were basically a netbook with a soldered video processor. Still quite low end in value. Such as the atom cpu “laptops”.

Generally you want more than 4 ports. A processor or socket with heatsink or fan. (Remove the metal) The board should be larger than 10”. In other words, it should look like a slightly smaller computer motherboard.
Almost everything less than 10” across is going to be something else.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:47 pm 

OK thanks, if you dont mind me asking what makes Laptop motherboards in this catgory so much higher per pound than a standard desktop motherboard with an onboard GPU? ONly difference i can think of is within the power circuit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:04 am 
Site Admin

Honestly, I’m not sure a laptop class will be around much longer.
Historically the laptop design took a 12-16 inch motherboard, and compressed it into an 11-12 inch board. Weight by volume in recovery is higher. Add to that the use of more advanced ASIC (multi feature chips) that normally used individual chips, ceramic capacitors over liquid, higher levels of silver and gold over tin, thicker boards with more layers…

That all said, process reduction, under 5nm now for many common chips, better etching techniques, and, simply, smaller everything, has led to some real reduction in cost, and value.

One boutique builder has a very high end laptop who’s board is smaller than a large tablet; most of the case content is copper pipes and heatsinks. High peripheral.

I’m not boardsort, but my experience say laptop boards as we know them will disappear from new equipment this year or next.