Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:48 pm

Post subject: Re: Shipping Advice
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:38 pm 

I considered doing that and I think I'll put all of my ram, cpu's, hard drive boards and CD rom boards in one and ship the rest with UPS.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:47 pm 

ccussins wrote:
Thanks for the advice but I only have about 70-80lbs of material. So nothing that large. I'm thinking about using several extra large UPS flat rate boxes for $25 each. That seems like the best way to go.

I regularly ship about 70lbs of material. Until this year that was the max weight FedEx would allow without a massive surcharge ($20+). Now it’s 50lbs that goes for what 70 used to. In any case I pay about $25 for a 50lb box...if you’re doing 3 flat rate boxes at 25 each for similar total weight you may be overpaying. Be careful. Make sure you get yourself the eBay FedEx discounted rate too.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:16 pm 

Ok, I know this is an old thread, but how do you do that on eBay? I used PayPal.

PayPal only links with USPS and UPS. eBay only links with USPS and FedEx. That's a soup sandwich to me, and I couldn't figure out how to do a non-eBay sale shipment through eBay. I got a significant discounted rate on UPS through PayPal, but still more than what you guys are saying it would have cost using FedEx.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:30 pm 

@Lost can hopefully chime in - I set it up ages ago and I don’t remember lol it’s not actually “through” eBay or PayPal though. I think you are just linking into the discounted fedex rates that eBay sellers get (so you’ll order and print labels directly through fedex.com). Currently paying $22 on 50lb boxes (of course your rate will vary depending on where you are)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Merkman wrote:
@Lost can hopefully chime in...not actually “through” eBay

Correct.
You are literally creating a Fedex commercial account without any of the requirements by using a pass-through portal to sign up from within ebay. It’s intirely separate beyond registration. Once you have an account setup this way you can use the FedEx phone app or the web site log in and create Shipments for anything with the discounts pre-applied.

The upside: any person with an ebay selling account and any seller upgrade package can eventually get in. And the savings are amazing! 10%-30% lower. That’s better than shipping via ebay in some cases, even for ebay auctions.

The downside is you need to find a working link To the offer and save it. It’s not available 24/7. Only on occasions when someone at fedex decides to flip a switch. It was originally open for about two months by invite to ebay top rated sellers with a store package.
Then it was offered every few months.
Now I hear it’s about twice or thrice a year.

Honestly though if you get in and ship enough you’ll save enough in the first month (less than 20 shipments or more than 50 lbs long distance) to justify paying extra to ebay for even the lowest seller upgrade; I believe is currently at $7.99 per month. With an active upgrade you’ll get an invite message eventually if you can’t find a working link.
You can cancel the upgrade after you sign up with FedEx without concern. The commercial account with them is permanent.

A working link with start with xx.ebay.com/......... and bring you to a Fedex page that says this something or other is not available at this time... etc.

I spend about $15-$25 for 50lbs to boardsort depending on how I break it up in boxes. A single 50lb box would be $20-$21 for me. Sill less than priority mail by a fair bit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:42 pm 

This is an old thread, but thought it worth updating. One post in this thread mentioned using USPS Regional Flat Rate boxes. Those rates were discontinued this year. You can still use the boxes if you have them, but you'll be charged standard Priority Mail rates.

And they have just done away with First Class for packages and switched to what they call "Ground Advantage". I haven't figured that one out completely yet because it doesn't appear to be limited to 16 oz. like First Class was. Letter size mail is still First Class, but standard letter rate has gone up to 66₵.

I no longer use PayPal nor ebay's shipping function for my ebay shipping. I've switched to PirateShip and that saves me over even ebay's rates. I can use PirateShip for any package, and choose Fedex or UPS as options too. It tells me as an option for every package how much each shipper would charge for that package.

PirateShip figures it out and some of the first packages I've shipped since that change gave me options for "Ground Advantage Cubic" for something that would have been just Priority Mail before.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:45 pm 
Site Admin

First class package still exists via shipping partner services. I just mailed one today.

Also flat rate also exists.

What is changed is:

All ground based options have been combined into ground advantage.

Region rate shipping now is calculated for all shipping in all classes. This regional rate boxes are discontinued.
Region rate boxes will ship at the price for the listed service on the box. Priority for priority regional and priority express for priority express and express mail regional boxes.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:56 pm 
Site Admin

Pirateship is popular if you ship within country.

Stamps.com and endicia are really good for international shipping. (Same company). Mainly because they offer dhl and have integrated the international customs code database. You look up your codes directly in the app or via the web interface.

PayPal still works for PayPal users. Their prices are often higher than other partners though.

There’s also BitShip for crypto users. Which uses both international services and local courier companies.
But ship is good if you want to deliver something today, or next month. But not for standard shipping.

Uship still is great for LTL if drivers here like Gorven can’t help.

FedEx still has the best rates for Tetris shippers. But the new cubic rates being applied to all ground shipping via USPS may offer new options.