Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:17 pm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:03 pm 

Thanks for the info.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:24 am 

Update:

Tried this a few weeks ago, worked out just fine.
Personally, the difference between the pre-paid label and actually bringing the package to UPS was only a few bucks, but even though the savings was negligible this time, over time (if you're a volume seller) you will save a bunch.
I can also say this would be a viable solution to folks that have up front cash flow issues, where shipping costs would be a barrier to entry to Boardsort.

Thanks Chris/Bruce

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:41 pm 

Sounds interesting! I'll get a few boxes ready and send an email.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:44 pm 

I think this is great. You guys should be able to work out a much better volume discount with the shipping carriers than we can individually. If you can get us lower shipping cost, you'll be much more competitive compared to the local scrap yards.

How can I help?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:17 am 

So, it's been about a year since rolling this out, hard to believe.
Chris, how has this been going for Boardsort?
Has anyone else beside myself and a few others used this service?
Just curious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:47 pm 

Thearchivebooks wrote:
So, it's been about a year since rolling this out...how has this been going for Boardsort?

I was wondering too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:04 am 

Hi everyone, I'm new to this and was wondering what an average 40lbs box does cost for shipping? I know there's alot of variables with size and location but I'm just looking for a ballpark figure. Lastly is it even worth sending in low grade boards? Thank you!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:37 am 
Site Admin

I’ll answer the second question first. As it’s easy.
There are two ways to not lose money sending low and mid grade boards. Past the obvious of being local and driving them in.

First is bulk single class. As in LTL or full 52’ trailer full shipments. There’s a few users here offering discounted shipping for users.

The second is bulk, as in volume overall. With some minor tricks and trial and error.
I use low grade and mid for reinforcement of box sides. Often TV boards or tub monitor boards. Flat side to box, populated side in. When shipping peripheral etc boards it’s a close call decision. But it works well for telco and high end motherboards. And above. Helps reinforce thinner boxes. With strapping tape and six TV boards you can ship high end boards and chips in a commercial display. (I’ve done it)

The more important question: 40lbs.

Well, that’s crazy difficult to explain. What, what class, how many boxes, what sizes!????
A 40lb cube of lead can ship as low as $15! Even less with experience.
40LBs of low grade base boards from 1950s tube TVs is going to cost hundreds.
40 pounds of ram? 2 small priority mail boxes: well under $20!
And 40lbs of DIP gold cap gold pin processors can be under $10!

I could stick a $5.87 prepaid B2B label on a 40lb 24” cube box and ship it with a 45-days or less guarantee. Or overnight it for $137 with a $10,000 insurance plan.

Generically ????!!!????
A single box will run $42.31-$495.28 based on 20x20x20
A 24x11x3 Flat rate box will be $$18.26-$21.50
4 10lb 12x12x12 cubes can ship fedex ground for $23.49

Depending on your location you can get a semi-private carrier for even less. Amazon Flex, TNT, Portal.
I can ship 500 lbs of materials to Boardsort for $212 from Chicago and $104 from Green Bay if the boxes are cubes and they don’t exceed 6 feet.

Where you are (zip code), how many boxes can you break it down to (more is better) and rectangle vs cube (cube is usually better).

FedEx, most LTL, and all private contracts prefer more smaller boxes rather than more large ones. For them weight isn’t really considered until you pass a few thousand pounds.

Your first step to useful info is a more detailed account of what your sending. So I can figure out the best method to box it.
From there we can figure out cost and value.

I believe Govern (sorry, I’m sure that’s not spelled correctly) is your best bet for shipping bulk.

And:
As I’ve said before I’ll haul anything, anywhere, for the recorded cost of fuel plus $22 per day. (Fuel estimate and food paid up front, actual cost on/at delivery). Meaning zero profit since I actually like to drive just to drive.
Pointless for 40LBs but for 400, 4000, 40,000? If I can fit the load into my suv and a 48 foot trailer it goes for no extra cost. Fuel and food alone. FYI FWIW I get Apx 13mi per Gal avg highway federally. Or 6-28mpg overall.
End to end: I-10 runs in the mid 30s where I-70/I-15 is in the very low teens due to extreme mountains.
I 90/I-94 is a nice middle at 24-28mpg.
M{edit-)
Did and will again but momentarily not}{

A useful guide on understanding LTL and trailer shipping as it’s fuel +mpg calculated. Or 25č-$1 per mile plus fuel cost. Diesel being avg 12-18 mpg, tractors running 4-16mpg.
in my dodge, lower-half running 93oct. Is 14-16mpg or so.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:03 am 

Firstly I would really like to thank you for your reply, it really helped me understand the process alot better! As of now I have about a dozen standard Rubbermaid totes of unsorted boards of all kinds and I'm gaining atleast 1 additional tote every week. Once I get everything sorted out I would love to get some more advice from you on the best ways to ship them! I would greatly appreciate any help you could offer! I have no time-line and I'm really looking for getting the most return back, also I would be shipping out of La Crosse, WI. Again, thank you very much for your help!