Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:48 am

Post subject: Shipping from UK
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:42 am 

Sorry, I had a question about shipping from the UK ... but then found the post where you say you only really buy from USA and Canada.
You can delete this question.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:16 pm 
Site Admin

As I said for our posters in India and Russia: officially. They don’t buy foreign beyond Canada.

That said there is a way that follows BoardSort’s requirements that can work IF you have a LARGE enough shipment (hundreds or thousands of pounds) OR expensive enough (hundreds to thousands of dollars).

You need to use a shipping broker. Full complete service options from a broker eliminate the import issue that boardsort is unable to deal with.
Pitney Bows and DHL both have contracting services. These two are both used by eBay for their global shipping program.
It MUST be a two destination service. You ship to them with a whole bunch of forms inside your boxes/pallets/crates. From your country to the US address.
They handle all import issues at that point. They then relabel and send your shipment on to boardsort. As far as boardsort dock workers are concerned they open your shipment, process the quote normally, and have no international forms to handle.

Here are the requirements to make this work.
You MUST contact boardsort by email or phone AFTER you have everything set up and BEFORE you fill out the quote form.

Everything must be in English.

You must use a PayPal address. Boardsort will NOT mail you a cheque.

You are solely responsible to make sure you chose the correct service. If it shows up at their address requiring a signature for ANY import or revenue form the delivery will be refused. As such any adjustments to the shipment paperwork or return to you are completely between the shipper and you.

I /may/ be able to help with issues for PB /after/ you ship if there is an issue that arises. I have an account and contact.
I will NOT help you set up a shipment. Only help after you shipped and only for PB.

PS: no, you can’t ship to me as a relay. I did that for someone once and nobody was happy with the mess. They chose the wrong shipping program. It took an extra 6 weeks of paperwork to make it work out.

Post subject: Re: Shipping from UK
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

I have no idea if any of the users have done this. I’ve not heard back from the few international users I’ve walked through this so I don’t know if it worked out or not. Or if they even tried.
This is not an inexpensive proposition.

There’s not much I can do if this goes wrong and obviously since the official answer is no boardsort can not expend resources helping for a program they don’t indorse.

I do know these services generally work (beyond eBay). I use them to send equipment to friends in Japan, Australia, and Sweden. And to receive. As to making it work for you: I can’t say this is right.
But it is an option.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:54 pm 

Thanks for the information. I will have read up on the shipping broker stuff. A friend of mine was one, I used to wonder what he did :-)
I could get together 1,000 Lbs of scrap and scrap of £1000 in value.
I can drive to a refiners in UK that i'm already registered with and get £750.
I'm thinking that the difference in price is probably not worth the hassle, but I will check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

One more issue I forgot to mention is time.
Ground isn’t really an option here. Scrap values change too quickly to hold a quote open for two weeks, three weeks....
So we have a value change issue as well. Or. A shipping speed issue.

I didn’t say this was a good choice. Just that it /was/ a choice.

As for your friend: on the office end here’s a fairly straight forward description of the average day. Lots of long annoying not quite matching language phone calls. Lots of long tedious paperwork.
I feel for every one of them.!