Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 am

Post subject: Before I head to the PO
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:03 pm 

About to send first order, needed to confirm a few things

A: is it acceptable to use a handwritten packing list?

2: do I need to put my username on the exterior of the package, can I just put it in my return address?

And

D: is it a problem that my full name isn't entered into my profile info (I chose PayPal over check, my PayPal info is correct)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

When you fill out the quote form you’ll get a confirmation you can print. Include that in each box.

PayPal has your personal information. So that should be good enough. The KYC laws are different in each state.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:35 am 

You could include a handwritten list if you don't have a printer handy, I have been doing it since Boardsort opened and I have never been chewed out (except for the time I sent a list on paper from a pocket pad, think police detectives).
So make sure it is legible, large enough for the dock crew to read easily, weights, your name and address, invoice number, email address and payout amount.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:06 am 
Site Admin

Thearchivebooks wrote:
You could include a handwritten list ...

True that!
The following line is the single most important line of your boardsort existence:
My order number is:

If you hand write it, make sure the page is large enough to see.
No fortune cookie sized paper tabs!

Also included your order number twice.
I have a tendency to put the packing list both inside and outside the box.
The 50Č for a packing list pouch is worth it on any order more than shipping cost.
Poor Chris has had to deal with orders from me under $100 that were shipped in more than 20 boxes! Yikes!
Ideally every box has a list but as long as ONE does they will eventually get the order placed together correctly based on shipping label name.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:27 am 

20 boxes under $100?
What were you shipping? I imagine like 3 peripheral boards and a handful of IC's sprinkled in for flavor in each box.
Lost, are you from the U.K. originally? I noticed you dropping in the formal u that we dumb Americans omit; i.e. flavour, colour, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:32 am 
Site Admin

I found a way to abuse Fedex. Nothing more than that.
Actually it was mostly wire and peripheral in that specific batch; was when wire was 75č and connectors higher.
I don’t recall exactly what was what but the mentioned shipment was literally a Benson organ.
I paid $9.99 for it. Tried to fix it before realising replacement vac tubes were $60+ and scrapped it.

Was one of the few times Chris asked “what is it?”. On multiple boards!

No, not British or English in general. US born bread and raised! A Yank to the core. But a linguist study. And spent some fare time in Britannia. Unlike those sorry British I am a bit deeper in my studies.
I’m genetically polish, German, and Turk. (Yes a WWII rape descendent)
My first language is English but I actually prefer old Dutch. Which surprisingly about half the world population can figure out to some extent.
I actually picked up eastern language as a byproduct of trying to figure out why the English translation of the Quran, based on moden’ish Arabic didn’t match up to Aramaic.
Which lead to study of Aramaic and eventually Sino. My first paid internship was with Celestial. Translating Shaw films. In 1996 long before Siri or google translate.
That lead to studying Thai/Khmer and eventually a spot on a VPN/Firewall team building Vietnam’s leading home grown vPN.
Khmer proved useful in learning old Khem. The Dhai script. Which is the base of all Chinese derivatives. Making any Asian language within reach.
Sino and Aramaic are closely and vitality linked. Developed separately the silver and silk trade created the first transliterations in history. (Note: to learn EVERY Asian language start with Bone Script {China} and pre-classical Aramaic{Syria}. The linguistic forms can be expanded to every current Asian language including Mongol and Cyrillic).
However if you’re into math, geometry specifically, you can probably visually moderate Dhai to cursive Aramaic sources. Making Dhai your best starting point.
Despite it’s romance loan words English is Gothen. Learning German, or better Gothen or old English, is the fastest way to English proficiency.
Latin is the basis of most western languages.
Dhai will cover most Far East and Pacific languages.
Aramaic ALL Arabic dialects.

Not that most people really care...!
But language historicity is one of the classes I pride myself on.

On the boardsort/tech level: learning base C will lead to a wonderful and fulfilling career!
Just think about that for a moment.
Java is dyeing, jscript and active j+ are a dyeing speciality.
Giving way to python, Ruby, Sapphire, and Diamond.
Python has been forked so many ways there’s no telling what will work on any given system.
PHP, as any long term user at this site will tell you, has some major flaws.

Despite its age C remains the most valuable computing language you can learn; as a base. It’s the foundation of C+, C++, C #, D, D+, D#, F, F~, and Y and Y+. (Y stands for “Y just C?”).
HTML5 allows raw C+ and C#. As a subsidiary known as Cm. (C mobile).
The three main flavours of C (C, C++, and C#) are part of both POSIX and Co-Sparc. Write an app in C and post it on the web. Period. Someone will add a gui to it. Bar-none.
UU and QX both have GUIs despite being 40+ years old and only being released as true open source less than 2 years ago.
AVP has a gui on every OS and is less than 6 months old!
Go figure

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:44 am 

Posted the day of OP, received "out for delivery" notification this morning, happy birthday to me, I used a handwritten packing list, transcribed the printable onto a full sheet of notebook paper, the only thing that's incomplete is like I said name and address not put in but i don't think it's going to be an issue since I requested PayPal payment and my PayPal address is complete and correct, will post in review section after I receive payment or if there's an issue upon receiving my package, the only thing im actually worried about is if the box gets broken in transit and spills my hdd boards, it wasn't a very heavy box so I didn't package it like 60 pounds of pennies but them postal boys seem to enjoy abusing packages. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:22 am 

Kaiser,
It'll be a hot minute before things get processed, a package I sent on December 10th was just literally processed yesterday, December 30th. The post office is wicked backed up, and being an ex-postal employee (I was an RCA for a few years while in college many years ago) I can attest to witnessing packages being punted, especially around the holidays!
All the more reason to re-iterate to make sure if you have smaller things, to be sure to practice box inception; i.e. a box within a box, within a box, within a box....
I recently messed up and sent baggies that got subsequently ripped, and I have been shipping to Boardsort for many years.

Lost,
Well, that explains the u.
Languages are an interesting thing, indeed. My grandfather was from Quebec, and even though on paper, Quebecois is French, if you go to Quebec City knowing French French, you will have no idea what is being said. The slang, the insults, etc are entirely different.
It's funny how one goes down the rabbit hole, but your'e right about getting to the "root", it's the same in IT as it is in languages; if you can manage to understand the root, you can figure out the sub-languages/sub-directories.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:00 pm 

Surprisingly my order was processed on the 30th, I thought I'd be waiting till the 4th, boardsort and Chris did their part seamlessly

Now it's in PayPal's hands, let's see when this hold gets lifted, almost wish I chose the check, lol,

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

@kaiser
PayPal is having issues right now with “something” that “has gone wrong” and you should look or try “again later”. :facepalm:
Been going on for at least a week. (I honestly wonder if someone forgot to run a routine or script over the holiday).

That said PayWithAmazon and BitX both have issues too at the moment.

Just be glad you didn’t chose a cheque. We got our vote by mail notice for Christmas. Lol. I figure we’ll get the holiday cards till the 4th. :D