Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:30 pm

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 8:09 pm 

Hello Boardsort.

I am just starting out and wanted to know your opinion on shipping Low-Mid grade boards. Is it worth it based on your experience? If not, should I attempt to harvest any parts on these boards before taking them to the local scrap yard?

Kind regards

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 pm 
Site Admin

Based on the current, and now sustained, price of 50č per lb, the real answer is do you have enough to drive the price of shipping down.

We have one current member who LTL hauls and is offering low rates. If they don’t reply I’ll see if I can dig their number out of their previous posts.

Give the other users a chance to reply before you start picking apart boards.
There’s at least one driver and another has played with it.

If it comes to pulling it apart you have a few things to go after. Copper is obvious. Loos wires. Copper transformers.

It’s the easiest rip and go material.
Remove any ICs.

Beyond that your local yard(s) is the decision factor. If you can sell whole boards and don’t have the time, take the cash and move on.
But you can strip a board bare and make bank on it if you have a buyer for everything.
Even low grade boards. You have rare earth minerals, cobalt, nickel, brass, copper, tin, lead, gold, it’s all there. For the over achiever.

Most people use a knife or box cutter. Dangerous to fingers but relatively easy.

Power chisels are also popular. Not so dangerous (use goggles though) but much more destructive. Small things are lost with this method. Like palladium CMCs and Tant.

My merged is well describe elsewhere on site: using a heat gun. Which comes with the fumes and poisoning risk. I have decades of electronic experience. Have have done the WRONG method of everything so I can pick out lead solder ~90% of the time to not heat those boards. I recognise the smell of lead in most alloys and can stop immediately.
That said with practice and finesse you can clear just about any board completely in under 2 minutes. In many cases less.
I use a drop tray, magnets, and small bins, to dump in. And get around to sorting out components later.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:55 pm 

Nevermind wat I was going to say, lost hit post before I did. ;)

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:21 am 

Thank you so much for your guidance and expertise.
Here is one example of what I have.
On this board I see transformers but no IC chips—bottom is all solder points.
Does anything else jump out at you that might be worth taking off?

Kind regards

Attachments:
IMG_1425.jpg
IMG_1425.jpg [ 1.52 MiB | Viewed 2454 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:09 pm 

Bubbleboy: I deliver my loads in person (retired, live 600 miles away). But when I get a load of good boards, usually around 400 pounds or more, I generally have about the same poundage of low and mid grade, which paid my gasoline costs when those boards were in the 15-20 cent range.