Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:51 am

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:00 pm 

My first question is what type of aluminum are hard drive cases considered? I was thinking about putting them in cast aluminum, but they seem to be a higher quality aluminum. And what about the covers? They're a heavy metal but they're not magnetic.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments:
IMG_5059.JPG
IMG_5059.JPG [ 386.45 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]
IMG_5062.JPG
IMG_5062.JPG [ 380.07 KiB | Viewed 2683 times ]

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 3:37 pm 

The class of aluminum will vary per the yard you are selling it too. Most will say its cast. Make sure you get any steel posts out of them.

The covers are different metals, stainless, aluminum, steel, and some are even a combination of one metal glued to another.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:07 pm 

Thanks for the fast response. I figured the cases would go as cast aluminum and based on what you said, the covers I have must be stainless steel since they're a hard, heavy metal.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 4:33 pm 
Site Admin

The covers are usually two metals. The lower layer aluminium and one or more pieces of special nickel steel on the top (special in how it’s manufactured, not the value as scrap).

3.5 inch drives are nearly completely made with dual layer covers. Maxtor had a tendency to use a low nickel stainless as the primary cover and smaller specialty stainless plates in earlier designs. Moving to stainless covers and high nickel (magnetic) plates in later models.

2.5” drives are mostly stainless caps. Smaller than that aluminium is most common.

Old 525 drives are random. Many are magnesium and manganese pairings. Though IBM used a steel plate cover in the “PC” line for a while.

If it doesn’t stick to a magnet and you want to test for stainless vs aluminium you can spark test. Us a metal grit grinding pad or bit with an angle grinder, drill, or rotary tool.

If it makes sparks you have a stainless.