Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:52 am

Post subject: Lite-Weight flat TV
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:41 am 

the past I disassembled a few LCD flat screens "just to see". Having no ready market, and given the weight of the stuff that went to landfill, I lost interest in that version. Recently, I came up with a couple of lightweight units, about 42 diagonal or so, which can be lifted with one hand. Since the black "screen" TV was plastic, with a metal back, I disassembled it. Fairly easy task, but what is amazing is , "They just ain't nothing in there." Outer hard plastic plate, then what I would call a polarizer thin flexible plastic (sort of like a Fresnel lens) an opaque white flexible plastic sheet, and some rows of tiny lights. I will have to look again at daybreak to see if there was more.
I have since watched a couple videos on LED tv screens

Post subject: Re: Lite-Weight flat TV
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Miniaturisation.
Modern LCD TVs are worth fixing over scrapping. If the fix is the oh so common blown capacitor or dead DAC chip.
They’re only worth it as scrap if you have a metal laminate buyer. All but one of the plastic sheets (the opaque white one) have metal in them.
Unfortunately nobody is buying at the moment.
If you’re board it’s a quick easy break down. Few peripheral and midgrade boards. Some laminated wire. Many have gold ends (clean gold fingers) or silver or nickel (silver tin ram) contacts.
Fixed I generally sell them to a local pawn shop I like. I make bank. They make double. Everyone is happy.
But if you have access to boxes and free packing supplies (free cycle is a good source) they are so featherweight now you can actually easily ebay them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:43 pm 

Time to correct the mis-information, mis-understanding of what I was encountering in the first post above. I now think that the "hard plastic" black front screen is actually two extrememly thin layers of glass with a polarizer screen inside, a metallic mesh with electrical ribbon wire connecting. and of course, a sheet of plastic on the thin glass to hold the pieces together like safety glass. It appears to be a very thin and lite-weight LCD screen, backlit by rows of LED's. There is in addition a transparent sheet of plastic, very flimsy, and a stiff opaque sheet of plastic, I suppose is a diffuser for the backlight LEDs.
The TV powered up the screen, when I first got it, but since the screen had major cracks, it did not produce a picture, just a rainbow colored outline that resembled a landscape, mountain range and valley painted on black velvet. I used it for a while as a piece of "art-nightlight" . Quite attractive in a darkened room.
Here is what I was hesitant to post until I had conferred with Lostinlodos. When the black screen is removed and looked at thru either front or back, there is nothing except the reflection of yourself and what is behind you. You cannot see anything on the other side of the screen, not even a full sun. BUT:
if you tap the screen you will briefly see thru the black screen, just like a camera shutter clicking. If you shake the screen gently but rapidly, it will give almost continuous seethru capabilities. While I have no real explanation, since I am ignorant of the electronics, I assume the shaking or tapping affects the LCD the same way as applying a current to the screen. Apparently the new LCD uses a new technology called TN (twisted nematic) which allows the crystal between two polarized sheets to change the polarization of light passing thru it.
So what is the point of this blurb? Next time you are ready to discard a busted LCD screen, play with for a bit. (I don't remember just where...did Lostinlodos just post it, or did I read it elsewhere, that some broken screens are saleable, as they can be recut to salvage the good sections for use in smaller articles? )

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:26 pm 
Site Admin

Somewhere else. I’ve posted multiple times that they’re sellable ‘though.
Don’t ask for a buyer reference though: I won’t give one since I don’t have one. It’s a generally dark grey area of scrap. I’ve been ripped off as more than not selling broken LCDs that are larger than tablet size.

Selling phone and tablet screens, good or broken, is fairly easy. Many third party repair companies that buy phones and tablets also buy the parts. Including cracked and broken screens.
Larger screens are much harder to get paid for.

As for what they do with them? No idea. Cutting them down sounds plausible to me since I know nothing. ;)
I know there’s a recovery industry out there since people are buying them. Just no idea why anyone is buying them.