Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:57 am

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:09 pm 
Site Admin

I’m sitting on mine at the moment. Mixed screen plastics and laminate (aka Mylar).
The next time I wind up with a bit of junk silver plate I will probably send the laminate with it to a refinery.

You’ve got enough weight there you may get a refiner to bite at it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:17 pm 

Thanks los.

Mr. Bianco
could you please post a picture of the LCD monitor mylars that you have.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:38 pm 

Yes, thank you for your inquire.
Here is a photo of some of the heavy Silver Coated Mylar backing sheets from LCD Display Monitors. This photo is of the heavy silvery thick coated sheets, I also have 3x as many of the less silvery coated sheets as well. Please feel free to let me know if you are interested in these and/or the others, and how much you may be willing to offer. Thank you.

Attachments:
Silver Coated Mylar Sheets from LCD Monitor Displays.jpg
Silver Coated Mylar Sheets from LCD Monitor Displays.jpg [ 2.03 MiB | Viewed 8448 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:02 am 

Sorry for any confusion. I am not looking to buy, just wanted to see what they look like because I have a large quantity of laptop displays I'm considering taking apart or selling whole. Thank you for the picture.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

If you still have them at the end of the year and just want to get rid of them:
Email me directly in January. I’ll try to work something out with you a little over the shipping cost.
It’s the best offer I can do myself. I’ll end up eventually sending the stuff to a refiner eventually since the public market collapsed. Which means I’d need to ship it a second time as well.

Both refiners I’ve used most have said they’d need over 500lbs to even try. With no promise of a recovery. I trust their honesty enough to try. And I’d float any profits on your weight back down to you mid year when I finally come up with enough to send it in. I currently have about double your weight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:00 am 

Any general idea of what the Mylar keyboard/Tv backing sheets go for a lb nowadays?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:30 am 
Site Admin

Under $10 per lb in bulk.
Probably around $3-$5 if you can find a buyer.
There’s 0 market at the moment.
Long story short I’ve yet to see any real answer as to why. But from comments, LtE, and the like in some trade publications I gather that one of the large companies sent some sort of massive sorted load to a refinery and got real world numbers that were nowhere near general industry expectations. The numbers I’ve been told so far in the last few weeks are all under $10 and mostly around $5 per pound in the tonnage level of source. With x-ray and film stock on the high end and keyboard sheets at the lower end.
I only know a dozen or so companies who would be able to do such a shipment so I’ll be sending them mails over the coming weeks to see if anyone is willing to spill a logical story.
But for the moment it’s more of an adult version of telephone/operator. What I’ve read lately is so far along from the source it’s hardly an explanation of reality.

To answer your question directly: not much. And not what anyone was getting paid for them. Myself included.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:01 am 

Thanks lost, much love

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:25 am 

Sharing - I found this on the web. Not sure if this is true and accurate, it is a few years old. Thanks to Keven the author of this. Sounds about right, if it is accurate, I would estimate that the resale price of Keyboard Mylar Sheets for Silver Recovery, to be somewhere around 1/3 to 2/3 (depending on quantity) of the current spot price of 1 OzT. of Silver, per 2 pounds. of Keyboard Mylar Sheets. Please feel free to correct this or add any additional information to make this more accurate. As of yet I still have not found a buyer for any of my Silver Coated LCD Backing Sheets. However, after several weeks of listing my Keyboard Mylar Sheets on ebay, I finally sold about 6.5 pounds of my Keyboard Mylar Sheets at around $4.35 per pound.
Attachment:
keyboard mylar sheets e-cycle notes.JPG
keyboard mylar sheets e-cycle notes.JPG [ 158.01 KiB | Viewed 8368 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:55 pm 
Site Admin

Your eBay price sounds to be accurate.
The picture is also probably accurate but has the typical internet conundrum: no cost to recovery analysis.
Any American living between the Rockys and the ozarks can go outside and dig up 10 lbs of dirt and find some level of gold in the top 5 feet or so. Nobody does this for a reason. The cost of recovery is astronomical compared to the ppB of gold.
Here’s a guess.
With the massive transition to low price low quality disposable keyboards, coupled with newer laws in 26 states about recycling... there was a sudden tip in quality of what large waste companies had on hand.
An i-me keyboard has a lot less silver vs an iHome vs an Apple.
Or a Microcraft vs Micro Star vs Microsoft.
Add to that the massive jump of electronics recycling and the cutoff of exporting that material...?!
We just need to wait till the market stabilises itself.