Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

Post subject: Scrap it or Sell it
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:40 am 

General rule of thumb on year, make, model, and specs of computers/modems/routers/DVR/Tablets/PCI cards, and anything else inside determining to sell it rather than scrap it?

Suggestions and "what would you do?", in this manner.

Much love

Post subject: Re: Scrap it or Sell it
PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:24 am 

depends on the market you are at

I guess you're from USA, and would prefer to sell most stuff locally - so take a look at your craigslist and go from there, I myself, would not individually try to sell any items that go less than 10 $, per item - even more on e-bay (15-20$ per sale)

the more complicated the item (for example individual RAM vs complete laptop) the higher the cut-off, due to more work involved in testing/higher failure risk

I suggest you assume what is your time worth to you and go from there, you'll learn quick enough in practice

For me, my market - for example, for CPUs I don't bother for anything less than i-series - i5 and even i3 sells OK locally... 500 gb is the cutoff for HDD, 400w for PSU, 2 gb for RAM - but it is all specific to my local market...

Just do a quick research on your local marketplaces/e-bay what sells & compare it to the expected hassle that goes with it, and that will be your answer...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:57 pm 
Site Admin

All add my experience as well
Selling?
Computers, 1982-1995——after 2015
Laptops, before 2000——after that flip a coin
Modems, external always——internal, scrap them
Router, almost always. Not for much but better than scrap
DVRs: see notes below
Tablets, Samsung, Apple, Microsoft. Good luck with anything else
PCI, too much to discuss here.

Computers: anything before 1982-1985 should be opened. The difference between scrap and sales value is impossible to tell from outside for most people. That time frame could easily give you high telco and gold caps that far out value the sales price of whole systems

And unfortunately I just got interrupted so I’ll be back. I

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

... and we’re back.
Laptops run all over the price range. But: anything newer than the mid 2000s is an absolute pain to scrap so best to try selling them first.

Modems are a rare breed now. The marketplace has pushed them out so like floppy drives watch as their prices continue to climb. External modems are already averaging over $20 with slower, lower bit rate ones being more expensive than faster ones.

Very few routers pass the level of junk scrap. Peripheral at best for the majority. So if you can sell it do so.

DVRs aren’t all that popular because they’re usually locked up in vender restrictions. PVRs (personal) and SVRs (security) on the other hand will fetch $50 to many thousands. Generically DVR tends to refer to something for recording encrypted video without decryption.
The other two are after market/ consumer market devices that will record anything that can be plugged into it.

Tablets: big brands sell. Everything else is junk for resale $50 new tablets have $5 resale value. Or less.

Expansion cards are all over the spectrum from pennies to thousands.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:27 am 

agree with you
Hair La Vie reviews

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:21 pm 

I just discovered the most invaluable method to test the market, and it is probably an obvious one I have just overlooked over the years.

On eBay, you can search for an item, then when the results show up, filter out for completed/sold items. This way you can see how frequently and more importantly how recently the items sell, and for what price.

You can use this as a baseline for selling anywhere else, I figure, because the rebut to a declined offer is almost always "but I saw it for $XXX on eBay!".

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:12 pm 
Site Admin

Yep. Experienced sellers always say two things about ebay.
Filter sold is a great way to look at average value.
AND
Sold value is the past. It means nothing now.

In reality it depends on what it is. How many people want it. How common or rare it is. Or common.
Use it as a guide, something I alway use with many other sites to reply with resale values to people here.
But don’t depend on it alone.