Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

Post subject: Carbon fiber composites
PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:01 pm 

In my auction buys, sometimes I get some carbon fiber composite structural pieces. Any reason to start stockpiling them for recycling, or maybe just use them in carpentry projects and yard art designs?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:51 pm 
Site Admin

The price has been relatively stable since it was invented. I wouldn’t expect much to change.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:14 pm 

I haven't really looked much, but I don't seem to see any local recyclers. There is lots of the big boys mouthing off about how they are creating basically an inhouse recycling program to reuse their own waste and scrap.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:32 pm 
Site Admin

It’s not generally a recyclable material. In that the very act of creating something out of the CF strands changes it. PVA CF is the most common. (I believe).
From a recycling standpoint: Ultimately it’s best uses as a carbon additive in steel recycling and production.
As such it’s a relatively low value feed source. Two of my pricing services have very different prices. $11 per tonne and 4č per lb.
there are other polymers but I don’t have paid access to the those commodities prices.
Like any “alloy” I’m sure there are some high priced blends but in general it’s not worth much. Costs a fortune to make it though. Go figure.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 4:00 am 
Site Admin

Very quick update. C-Pd has risen over the past month enough to catch my attention.
As the SL suggests C-Pd is carbon and palladium. A common blended semi-plastic used in many appliances.
C-Pd has, as of May 5th passed the 40č per pound mark. That puts it on my radar.

C-Pd, CPd, And CP... these are a hard, solid, semi-magnetic material. It is most often found as the IC package housing in low end high volume, high moisture, PCBs: from 1975-1995ish era. Dishwashers, washing machines, freezers with internal ice makers. (I looked... our 1982 Sub Zero dual has 4 of these on the inside controller inside the fan box).

These chips will look like oxidised silver or a matte grey. Boardsort isn’t (yet) interested beyond IC rate but it’s an item worth watching. Palladium is rising at 3x the rate of Platinum (now trading roughly half gold’s price!).
If this (CPd rising) keeps up a few more weeks we can expect to see Some changes to accommodate it in the colon weeks and months.