Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:24 am

Post subject: Computer Power Supplies
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:37 pm 

I have like 50 computer power supplies that work. I know i can get more money by selling them used on ebay. But that's also a lot storage and waiting. They're heavy and most used ones I've seen go for about $20-$30, so after shipping cross country or to say, Puerto Rico, ill likely only make $10 max. obviously nice gaming or high wattage ones are exceptions. On the other hand, there is a lot of copper and aluminum on the boards inside for scrapping. Does anyone have any tips on what to sell, or to even try to sell these at all? Or do you usually just scrap them?

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:57 pm 
Site Admin

For ATX/ITX and compatible units 400-800 is the generic range. Low power units to have a slow build up (down in was up in price) from 400-150. Anything under 150wts is an easy sell to someone who needs it and can reach triple digit prices. IBM 120 and related 115-125wts appear to be the valuable low wattage units.

Anything above 800 is outside of the consumer range (PBNB rarely go higher) so prices rise quickly. Anything over 1200 watts is going to fetch easy money.

Outside of ATX and fixed mount ITX there are some that go mad crazy values.
XT and AT supplies that power up and have full voltage on the motherboard cables will sell really high. Especially XT. Slide out ITX power supplies (brick trays) are easy to sell and trend above $25-$30 on the low value end. Reaching hundreds quickly in the above-650wt range.
HP atx compliant supplies are smaller than standard ATX and have a premium. They fit a few other brands as well.

Anything over 1500wts will bring good cash. In any format.

In any class of wattage:
Fixed supplies are the lowest value.

Semi modular, with a fixed motherboard tail and most or all others removable are mid value range.

Fully modular supplies with all cables removable catch a hefty premium over semi-modular. Usually double the semi price in used sales.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:27 pm 

Thank you for the info. Most of these are just Dell Atx around the 300-450 watt range. Although i do have some of the smaller compact type with the weird ledge on them. I figured they may be more valuable since they're not a normal shape. I also do have a 90w supply by Lite-on. Sp it sounds like most of what i have on isnt worth the wait to try to sell.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:57 am 
Site Admin

That 90wt may be worth the effort.

The Dells as well. Dell purchases their supplies from HY Power, also know has HP. The HP non-standard supplies are made by Ticon in Thailand, not China. The individual parts are then sent to Taiwan and assembled by ECS. The boards are then sent to SCI Inc in California where they’re placed into Mexican shells (the case). HP has exclusive rights (and patents) on the mini-ATX format. Those smaller sized supplies fit what’s known as mini-ATA layout. The current buyers from HP’s subsidiary are HP (obviously), Dell, Gateway Systems (a Dell International sub brand licensed from HP), eSystems, and CompPower. They range from $25-$75 on average used.

That said let me attempt to be concise. Something I don’t do well.
Anything else I unscrew the shell. Lock it to my bench with a c-clam, and get violent with the biggest slip-jaw pliers I have. 13 inch Kobalt’s.
I pull copper coils and rods. I pull aluminium heat spreaders. And any gold I may find.
By pull I mean I tug and yank with as much torque as I can produce to literally rip the components off.

What’s left I sell as #4 electrical (usually copper or aluminium shred at most yards).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:40 am 

Haha that's exactly what I've been doing with the non working ones. Luckily the boards break pretty easily and components crack off. I guess ill throw some of the supplies up on ebay and see if anyone bites and take it from there. But i suppose even $10 profit and a little patience is still better than just some scrap value and a lot of effort. Unfortunately i've yet to find any yard around me that takes boards as shred or anything. I'm not sure what to do with all these low grade boards, shipping them out will cost me more than they are worth. I may have to reach out further to local yards.