Boardsort.com

Your complete E-scrap resource website. LEARN - SELL - PROFIT
It is currently Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:02 am

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

I’ve backed off a bit. Few helpers here are getting most of it right so I figured the best way for everyone else to learn is to have others hash things out.
I do keep an eye out.
I intend to start poring over post’s weekly, probably Friday or Saturday, just to review things.

I’ve dedicated the majority of my attention to a project I’m trying to finish up before I turn my attention back here fully.

Mercury was used in all sorts of things since it was a reliable, stable, known-properties material. Relays are just one. Electrically we also have switches, capacitors trips, temperature sensors, fuses, timed capacitors… some later mainframes used Mercury thermometers for fail safe automated shutdowns.

Most of our current understanding of the elements (think periodic table) was supplied by watching properties of Mercury vs other.
Our understanding of temperature.
Even time, relativistic existence, and quantum theory! All owe some thanks to this strange metal.

Sadly, like so many good things, (chocolate, mushrooms, sugar, pizza, Anakin), Mercury can eventually kill you. And if you don’t die, you probably would wish you did.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:03 pm 

Well I'm glad, I like to think I know what I'm doing but like my signature says, I'm here to learn.

The History of AV? Or a different project. I've skimmed the History of AV, not necessarily my particular interest but still interesting.

Okay, I think I'll quit adding non-relevant conversation to a topic about what boardsort won't buy, unless boardsort not buying non-relevant conversations makes it relevant...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

Update: BoardSort does not buy non-relevant conversations. It hosts a few though.
;)

Something else entirely. A damaged? port to M1 that I’m trying to figure out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:17 pm 

What will happen if someone shipped a ionization smoke detector (which has radioactive americium in it), has mercury wetted relays, or coin cell lithium batteries? I'm sure boardsort staff know what are common hazardous materials to pay attention, but what will happen if it doesn't get noticed and proceeds to the refining process?

I'm not sure about laws but will the seller face legal problems too?