Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:31 pm

Post subject: Shipping
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:55 pm 

Hello all,

Can i have some tips/recommendations on the cheapest shipping methods? I will be putting together a pretty large shipment. Im going to guess it will be 7-10 boxes that weigh 30-50 lbs.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Shipping
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:38 pm 

So I think your more interested in price but maybe this will be helpful too?

I've always used flat rate boxes with USPS, but I don't acquire a lot of material very quickly and I take my bulkier boards to a local place.

I've fit up to 60-65lbs. in a large flat rate box ($21.90 current price). Filled the bottom with pinless CPUs, covered that with part of a cereal box and then laid in other sorted bags of CPUs. Then I tape the box extremely well. Anywhere the cardboard stops or lays over itself is getting taped for sure and then some. Boardsort has never complained, but the lady at my post office has given me funny looks.

Basically, whatever you can do to reduce volume without losing value on the boards should help reduce your costs. I always end up playing HDD logic board Tetris, trying to get the ports to line up just right, so there's no space between them or filling those inevitable spaces with 2.5" HDD boards or SSDs.

~~Update~~
I found the shipment I was thinking about and it was 69lbs plus packaging, so basically 70lbs.

Attachments:
20200524_Li-Ion.jpg
20200524_Li-Ion.jpg [ 2.87 MiB | Viewed 2882 times ]
20200524_PinMetal.jpg
20200524_PinMetal.jpg [ 4.33 MiB | Viewed 2882 times ]
20200524_Pinless.jpg
20200524_Pinless.jpg [ 2.26 MiB | Viewed 2882 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:25 am 

Thank you for the heads up, much appreciated! I dont think that would work for me though. Im shipping mostly motherboards, so i would need bigger boxes than USPS's large flat rates....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:56 pm 
Site Admin

You can use Fedex if you want to break your order into many smaller boxes. Yes he majority of their charging scale is based on individual size. A 5 foot cube is more difficult to ship than 5 one foot cubes. Think about Tetris. Which is what the surface shipping industry does. Life size Tetris. A single cube is harder to shove into open space then multiple rectangles.

I’ve found the Aa, B, and F Amazon boxes to be the best rates for them.

If you have Stamps Dot Com, eShip, or PayPal you can ship discounted UPS.

As always, if you have an ebay seller account I suggest digging through the seller help forums for a copy of the fedex commercial partnership link.
And bookmarking it in your browser. Visit and refresh every few days. Open enrolment happens randomly but the discounts in the program are massive. Up to 60%+ now.
You need to be an active ebay seller and link your account (which makes some minor changes to your shipping page on ebay). And have a valid Credit or Debit card.

If you sell on Amazon you can use Amazon services for merchants (AMS). But there’s a requirement for number of self ship sales to get into the program.
I get a lot of ebay orders via AMS. Surprisingly.
AMS uses the least expensive methods among shippers based on Amazon’s bulk discount rates. So you print an Amazon label, drop it off at an Amazon locker, UPS store, or JCPenny, and they (Amazon) do the rest.
Amazon requires a linked bank account. Shipping is processed as echeque.