Boardsort.com

Your complete E-scrap resource website. LEARN - SELL - PROFIT
It is currently Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:30 am

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:03 am 

lostinlodos wrote:
Some time in the near future I’ll post two “lessons” of sorts. One on my understanding of how those two friends created a sustainable scrap business. The other on haw to get even national chain thrift companies to toss the rules out the window and sell you broken junk for almost nothing.

I'd very much like to read that!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:23 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for reminding me. I have long since moved on and forgotten.

It’s back on my soon list.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:40 pm 

This post is awesome!!! I laughed, I cried, what a rollercoaster!!! So now my two cents. I have been doing the recycle/refurbish/resale thing for a few months now. In the beginning I took a few bruises but I learn fast! With resources like Boardsort, and many others, I am now making a better living than I was working a full time job. I LOVE IT! And I feel like I am doing something important! Not everything works for everybody. You have to find out what works for you. Watch what you pay for. ALWAYS take the frees! And ya, I'm one of those guys that drive 400 miles to make pick-ups but it's worth it. Thank you Boardsort for all your help!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:28 pm 
Site Admin

malphorian1973 wrote:
.ALWAYS take the frees! …!!!

Always, always always. I grabbed my SawsAll last week and took it to a set of free fake brass lamps. Expecting pressed iron powder weights inside, like normal, I still always check. I got 2lb lead blocks. A value difference of 42č per lb!

Happy to be on a roll I grabbed a bunch of desk tape dispensers. Cracked the plastic off. Ram a titanium drill through the sandy base.
No roll for me. Guess they just filled the base with loose sand, poured in some glue and let it dry. What a mess. Indoor beach on the bench. Floor. Table in my poor drill.
Just poor, sand. Everywhere.
:(

Always take the frees!
They were selling a desk for $10. They dumped everything into a box with no care. Wrote free on it.
I handed the lady $5 for a box of used toner cartridges, that I’ll $10 each for, and grabbed the free box.

A few “stainless” candle stick holders turned out to be silver! 925!
Someone decided to glue felt to the base. But it was marked.

Oh, and StarFox! CIB. And a handful of other games.
Made me quite happy.
Couple of gold nib fountain pens. A gold (18kt) ball point.

https://www.pricecharting.com/game/nint ... or-resale#

I also got more rusty paper clips than I’ve ever seen in one place in my life.

But for me, the real treat was another working external parallel (printer) port CD-ROM drive!
Those are hard to come by in good condition!
Always take the frees!