Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:28 pm 

I know boardsort doesn't count these as connector ends but does anybody buy them? Do scrap yards buy them? Any advice?

Chris

Attachments:
File comment: molex and misc power supply connectors.
20210820_132046.jpg
20210820_132046.jpg [ 3.55 MiB | Viewed 5201 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:35 pm 
Site Admin

If your yard buys them they usually go as electrical scrap.
If not they tend to get paid for as steel shred.
They’re not worth all that much.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:45 pm 

I usually take one of those gray plastic bags from everyones favorite super store and fill it with those plugs and the ones from power cords.
Then I place it in an empty computer tower box with stripped out cd drives and empty power supply boxes. When the tower is full I close it up and set it on the trailer for the scrap yard shred pile. If the yard sees too many of them and lots of other plastic the price per hundred drops. So I just put the small stuff in the towers and it is out of sight and out of mind.
Joe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:28 pm 
Site Admin

scraprat wrote:
…Then I place it in an empty computer tower box with stripped out cd drives and empty power supply boxes. When the tower is full I close it up and set it on the trailer for the scrap yard shred pile…

A ask if they buy them sorted.

If not:
This is one of the rare cases where stuffing is a good plan.
The concern has nothing to do value here and everything to do with i) keeping track of little things and ii) safety.

Most small yards don’t have a fork lift at all. If they do you’ll never see them.
But move up the chain. Where you have rotating fork sets and heavy forklift traffic dumping drums and dumpsters into other containers. Etc. A 30klb lift doesn’t actually pancake a grounded plug. It makes three sharp prongs poking from a thick piece of plastic. Perfect to get wedged between a trailer and the dock.
Loose Power plugs are one of the leading causes of catastrophic injuries in scrap yards.
Think about it! —|—
Your walking off the dock and into the trailer. Splat.
Or
Big dirt scoop comes along shoving all the crap from the floor into the back of the trailer. Which is just slightly below floor level. Flying projectile!

Falls off a rising sorting belt? Kiss a gear goodbye. Danger plus expenses.

So yes, here’s a good time to stuff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:39 pm 

i leave them on the wire. so far my yard hasnt said anything but i think its because their help doesnt know what they are looking at. i wouldnt pay .70 per pound for insulated computer wire if i owned a yard but i am happy that they do.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:42 am 

I also worry about safety that is why the bag in the tower to keep small things from falling out. But the yard I go to for shred uses a magnet to handle the material even the unloading of my trailer. The cases are picked off the load and dropped on the pile right in front of the shredder. As for sharp or pointed objects I have never seen anyone going near the shred pile.
The other yard where I take my wire is very strict about cord and wire ends. They are buying the wire not the ends. Cutting the ends off the wires from over a hundred power supplies a month and all the other wires the scrap adds up and the yards do not buy any of it around here so you have to get creative at getting rid of it. I am able to put all the plastic out for the recycle company each week. But I do not want to be filling the cans with small pointed plug ends So off to the yard they go.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:21 pm 
Site Admin

One of the bigger yards I used to use had a vicious injury with a plug end about a decade ago.
I won’t go into the stupid employees or the anguish the boss felt that his emps never listen.

But a loose plug end was hit by the scoop on a lift truck going way too fast. The plug hit another employee hard enough he had a heart attack. And died.

I have a yard now that buy them loose and stores them in drums. Works for me.