Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

Post subject: A Question of materials
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:19 am 

I am sure that someone here has answered this question before, but as of yet I haven't seen it. So, is there a good source that anyone can point me to that would help me decipher what materials are contained within my I.C. chips, capacitors, transistors, and other board components? What I am looking for is a source of M.S.D.S', data sheets, and other forms of information that might tell me what these things are made of. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:43 am 

Newark, Digikey, Mouser are all online catalogs for ICs, capacitors, resistors, diodes, FETs etc.

In most cases, they’ll provide a spec sheet for those components and in some cases, other information as well.

You can either just put IC or Integrated Circuit in their search window, click “enter”, pick any IC part number, click on it, go to that sales page and follow the links. You can also put in a specific part number. If it’s still in production, you’ll be taken to that sales page. If no longer available, it will say so or something to that effect.

For MSDS sheets and materials used in the product, you’ll have to go to the parts manufacturer’s website. And some information may be proprietary, so may not have everything you’re looking for.

The majority of what you’re looking for can be googled, duckduckgo etc. Just put in “capacitors how are they made” etc. or, perhaps, “what’s inside an IC” in the search window.

For stuff that has been long out of production, especially ICs and FETs, AllData usually pops up as well as other archive websites that have documented the spec sheets for those parts. Won’t find much on what’s inside yer part though. And certainly not all vintage electronics parts have any information available anywhere.

And as far as the specs and what’s inside older, out of production items, you’ll have to hit up forums related to vintage ham radios, vintage computers, CPUs and vintage audio, vintage video, vintage stereo equipment etc. if you can’t find it elsewhere.

There’s usually someone older than myself on those forums who’s put out a small dissertation or brief explanation on various subjects related to what your looking for.

I usually put in my query, say, “ICs how were they made forum”, sometimes I’ll get a hit to a vintage audio or computer forum etc.

There’s no one place I can direct you to, it may take some sleuthing on your part. I’m sure there are also books on the subject as well. Just never looked one up.

I’ve spent a considerable amount of time in my field. Nothing beats calling up a company and spending some time on the phone with either a sales rep, electronics engineer, or, in some cases, the owner. Sometimes, not all the time though, they’ll engage you in conversation if they have the time and you’ve asked the right questions.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy,

RFIII

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:18 pm 

Oh, I almost forgot.

lostinlodos is also a long time member of this forum. He has provided a considerable wealth of information to this forum.

His depth and breadth of knowledge is quite remarkable regarding electronics, metals, programming etc.

I’m sure, if he has time, he could answer some of your questions as well.

RFIII

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:47 pm 
Site Admin

If you need specific data on a single or small set of devices just post device ID(s) here or email me and I’ll look them up in my database.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:35 pm 

RustyFuryIII wrote:
...Nothing beats calling up a company and spending some time on the phone with either a sales rep, electronics engineer, or, in some cases, the owner. Sometimes, not all the time though, they’ll engage you in conversation if they have the time and you’ve asked the right questions...

I can attest to this working. While trying to figure out if some relays I had were mercury I contacted the manufacturer (granted it was a company in the UK so I emailed instead of calling). But I was able to glean a little information from that even.

Ultimately Lost, figured it out :D
Thanks again Lost for all your help!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:50 pm 
Site Admin

You’d be surprised how willing some companies are to help. Especially components companies.

For those who speak a few languages (Dutch/German and Chinese help the most), jump through the hoops and an actual tech or engineer ends op on the phone more often than not!

One even gave me the polymer worksheet for a package design once.
Not all that useful (I still recycle them as shred, unfortunately), but wow. That’s beyond proprietary info!

In reality these guys are working in an office, a cube, a basement, etc, with nothing to do but their little job in silence. So when someone calls and has half a clue what they’re asking these people will talk as long as you want.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 3:06 pm 

All I can do is sit back and be amazed at the shear amount of knowledge contained in this "family" of awesome people here at Boardsort. The knowledge that I have been able to glean from you guys, and the wide range of subjects that you all have touch one with me and others has literally changed the way I look at life. (Not trying to be too philosophical here) but ya, all I can do is read, read, and read some more! Thank you all for taking the time to do what you do. Oh, and BTW you guys have once again shown me the path to answer my own questions. THANK YOU! Mal.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:10 pm 
Site Admin

As long as your being overly kind let me hit your original question.

Quote:
What I am looking for is a source of M.S.D.S'

This isn’t going to help you. Except for finding batteries in clocks, backups, and rom/ram sandwich packages.
Lithium will have a flash over warning. The symbol is a fire icon above a cloud.
Extinguisher resistant fire.

Nickel batteries have a hand with the letter c in it. Caustic.

Lead (yesss they made lead acid batteries smaller than a D cell) are a hand missing the top of the fingers and an a or ac in it. A mushroom cloud icon next to it.
The melting hand is for acid. The mushroom for spontaneous combustion.

Quote:
data sheets,

Fastest way to find a dozens dedicated sites: Bing dot com. Load a private window, type in IC datasheet (without the space) and hit enter.

After that most companies still operate ftp stores on their servers. You’ll need a browser or browser extension that supports
File transfer protocol.
Here’s examples how:
Ftp://amd.com
Ftp://ftp.amd.com
Ftp|amd

Sometimes…
Http://ftp.amd.com
Http://amd.com/ftp/

UU:ftp.amd.com

In Asia you find you’ll find some dns will route .ftp sites directly:
AMD.ftp

I prefer fireftp as a dedicated front end.
Despite the colours and bling it’s laid out oldskool terminal style.
It’s easy to figure out with the help manual: and once you get the hang of it the options, in the program, and the cfg file make it expandable as it uses libftp.
So it works as a text only web browser (eg www, mosaic) with some tweaks
Cross platform and dial over internet as well.

When that fails use a normal windows and google to look for the number or code on the component.

Quote:
and other forms of information

Patience.