Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:49 am 

Problem 1: too poor to miss out on few more pennies, ie, sell at a lower grade.
Problem 2: too old to spend a large portion of my remaining life trying to garner a few more pennies by time-consuming labor that isn't overly profitable.

Back in the late 80's I bought a couple pickup truck loads of vintage telephone switching stuff. Included were these wired card slots, screwed onto an aluminum cut-out frame. Nothing complicated: plastic slots with pins for receiving a simple card, well spaced apart gold fingers on a card with solder traces connecting finger to solder point for the telephone cable wires. Card holders appear to be nylon: impossible to beat them loose without removing the nylon screw. The unit as show weighs about twenty five pounds, and is roughly twenty inches square.
There is some gold flash on the connectors where the cards gold finger contact it. The overall pin itself is about two and a half inches, wire wrapped on the back, is oxidized to a light hazelnut brown, and appears to be a white metal, rather stiff, but breakable with about six deep bends. Non-magnetic.
Early next week, I intend to take some of the pins to my local yard for RFA?, shoot them with the gun, to determine composition.
Basically, what I have after removing the cards from the slots, is connector ends mounted on an aluminum frame. Wiring on back wire wrapped pins appears to be tinned or silvered copper (dark oxidation on bare wire, silvery soft moon like on fresh stripped)
Question apparent is do I need to remove the "connector ends" from the aluminum frame. Of course, the back wiring and cards and nylon supports must be removed. No board at all in this setup.

Attachments:
bssssssssss pins.jpg
bssssssssss pins.jpg [ 4.5 MiB | Viewed 3285 times ]
bs pins front.jpg
bs pins front.jpg [ 3.18 MiB | Viewed 3285 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:50 pm 
Site Admin

I’m confused:

Assuming the pins are part of the the same board as the card sockets:
How I would go about this depends on the pin composition.
If the pins are gold, wire wrap pin board is the best rate so remove cards and wires.

If the pins aren’t gold I’d pull all wire and sell the board with cards in for high telco.

But…

If the pin board and card boards are separate boards…

Well, I’d remove the cards, knock the plastic off the board and take high peripheral for the aluminium and card sockets.

But with big sockets like that: personally, I’m most likely to yank!
Remove the sockets. Smash them. Sell the socket pins, clean the aluminium, and toss the plastic in my #7 bin (other) for $0.005 per pound.
But that’s me.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:27 am 

Thanks Lost, but you missed the point that there is no "board." Just a bunch of sockets hanging on a metal cutout frame. Pins while large have only a minimum of gold flash at the contact points where the cards insert. I will post some comparisons of socket plastic weight vs removed pin weight on a couple sockets and show closeups of the cards and closeup photo of the pins.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:45 am 
Site Admin

I understood that the “board” was as thick sheet of aluminium.
What I am confused on is if the pins and card sockets are on the same piece.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:46 am 

UPDATE. Aluminum cutout frame, to which are fastened card slot sockets, with heavy pins protruding from the back of the sockets with wire wrap.
I delivered to Boardsort last Friday, and at the last minute threw on one of these twenty pound units to cover the top of a box of smaller boards, to keep them from flying off in Mid Kentucky. Decided to take it and ask specifically what it would classify as, and if it would benefit from stripping, parting out, or further processing.
The particular unit I grabbed was trooublesome as it did not have gold plating on the pins, but a weird not silver/not copper/not aluminum/not what I don't know, a weird brownish oxidation/ on the pins.
Turns out "boards" don't always have to be seven layer fiberglass. In this case, just a large array of many components viewed as "one board".
The one I took was given a "non published class" rating as palladium wirewrap board" which brought a smile to my face, as the total payout on this one item was over a Hundred dollars, when I had resigned my self to maybe getting connector ends price. The bad news for my payday is that I had four more identical boards at home. The good news is I have four more boards weighing total 80 pounds ready for my next load...Oh, and when I walked in the door back home, found the latest MB box I had just finished for this trip sitting there, along with the GF cards and memory sticks...
BUT since I am the type who cannot believe good fortune_ if I won the lottery, I would argue with the officials that surely they had made a mistake, I am intending to take another board to the local recycling place and let them use their RF Gun on it to tell me the composition of the pins, and if the readout does not show palladium, then I will inform Boardsort of their mistake. I took an unmarked gold item in to my local yard and had them analyize it, and it readout Au roughly 55 %, Cu 23 %, Sn, 2%, Ag 5 %. Then took it to gold buyer who did his analysis and bought it as 14 K scrap.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 3:58 am 

UPDATE #2
The board shown in the thread will probably go as gold wirewrap pinboard since all the pins of this one is gold plated, unlike the "non-gold" one I sold.