Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 pm

Post subject: Small screens
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:17 pm 

I've been saving glass for small projects I may be doing in the future(ceramics, foundry mixes). I may haul it all off for recycling one day but I'm just waiting to see.
My question is if little screens like these have any hazardous waste I need to handle differently. The back is covered with possibly a thin vinyl or other plastic layer over some sort of coating on the glass, so I could scrape it off and get down to bare glass if I needed the piece of glass bad enough(not too likely but who knows). Overall though I need to know if I need to do anything different with the coating or even whole screen other than throw it in the garbage(i.e. take to hazmat drop off as glass recyclers don't seem to want glass with coatings). This screen came off of a fluke clamp meter so I can't really say what kind of screen it is, as I don't know much about screens, but maybe one of you will know and have some input. I would appreciate it.

Attachments:
smallscreen1.JPG
smallscreen1.JPG [ 570.8 KiB | Viewed 6672 times ]

Post subject: Re: Small screens
PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:38 pm 
Site Admin

I’ve discussed the chemicals in screens multiple times here.
Yes they’re toxic. So you’re best not licking it.

There are buyers for LCD and other Chemical laden glass.
Unfortunately if their not from cell phones or tablets you looking at a handful of buyers across the country who want real bulk.

Hazmat is the way
To go if you can’t figure making 500lbs in your time.

You can always pick up a chemcycle kit if you really want the glass. Giving you what you need to clean it and safely dispose of the liquid metal blends.

Such kits tend to cost $20-$50 on the low end but almost always come with free shipping.

What you don’t want to do is toss it in the trash or standard recycling.

Personally, I have bins right now at around 350LBS waiting till I get to the 750 mark to sell them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:38 pm 

I appreciate the information lost. I think at the moment it would be too much hassle for me and I will probably have to drop them at a hazmat drop but as far as I know there may only be about one/year in my area and it happened last month, so unless I find another drop off I will have to hang on to them anyway. Just have to see what I can find. Screens and plastic definitely seem to be the biggest burdens in this industry for small collectors and operators, just have to figure out how to overcome the hurdle without having much storage room. I'm sure a solution will pop up soon enough.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:54 pm 
Site Admin

There’s some genuine value in them. But restrictions and regulations have knocked out the small recyclers. Worse for us but better for the environment.

Keep it out of reach of pets, especially small dogs, cats, and lizards, who all like to climb.

There is value. Those hazmat drops that take stuff for free sell some of it in very safe and secure manner.
I’ve gotten some really good stuff buying public drop auctions. And junk like empty computers sold as “incomplete.” Technically correct, but really?. I digress.
You need enough to offset the cost of processing it. Which appears to be around 100-200 lbs now on the low end. But they want to make money too so you see the much higher minimum shipment.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:56 pm 

For electronics parts that are too hard to find a buyer (such as LCDs), stuff not worth the time tearing down for scrap (such as fans and small power supplies), and very low grade boards my local scrapyard doesn't buy (maybe boardsort will buy them as low grade but it won't be worth shipping), I toss them into a ERI electronics recycling bin near me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

Unfortunately I’m incapable of doing that: lol!

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 2.68 MiB | Viewed 6351 times ]