Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:55 pm

Post subject: It is just heavy,
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:13 am 

Getting the load together, and finding a few of these boards with lots of heavy transformers and torsion motors (Is that what they are called?) If the heavy components were removed, there would be nothing left on the board except a couple capacitors and the five or six gold pin connectors. Since I am delivering in person, I am happy to settle for a quick $6 for this board as is.

Attachments:
12pound.jpg
12pound.jpg [ 3.48 MiB | Viewed 2481 times ]

Post subject: Re: It is just heavy,
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:11 pm 

The round ones with red wire. If only two wires go from each one to the board, they would be inductors or filters.

If they have four or more wires going from each one to the PCBD, they’re toroidal transformers. Toroidal transformers or toroids, are much quieter so to speak than the square or rectangular transformers. They also have disadvantages as well. Yet are used where appropriate.

As one poster found, some of those boards make more economical sense to leave alone and turn in as is. Like in your case!

And six bucks is six bucks!

Enjoy,

RFIII

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:39 pm 

Thanks, RustyfuryIII. Back when these were 15 cent/20 cent boards, I would have stripped it of all copper, and aluminum, but now, sell as is. Over half of my load this time will be low and midgrade heavy with coils and heavy aluminum, as there is no local advantage to removing any/many items.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:36 am 

Meowpher el noveno!

Yup, I got lucky out here in Spotsyltucky, VA. Found a mom n pop recycling center up in Stafford, VA that buys ‘em so long as they’re pretty heavily populated with transformers and heat sinks for 40 cents a lb.

Not a bad shake. Still pick apart boards with choice transformers, toroids, filters, heatsinks n such. Mostly though, goes to the yard up north.

Funny, been doing this a few years now, haven’t shipped a thing to BS. I don’t get near the stuff we used to. With numerous landfills nearby, folks around here do a lot of drop offs at the dump. Few use the local trash pickup services so driving around picking thru morning curbside waste is no bueno.

Still have a full time job, very blessed there, and while the odometer just flipped to 60, a ways off from retirement I’d say. I do have a bunch of choice boards though. When I get enough to throw in the back of my truck to point my headlights to Jupiter, I’ll take a trip up to Ohio.

Thinking this, and a few other ‘hobbies’ might keep me busy in retirement. Maybe throw out some fliers to a few businesses n see what happens.

Well, you have fun!

Enjoy,

RFIII

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:53 am 

RustyFury, the drive is No Country for Old Men. I know two years ago when I was a young 71, I made the 608 mile one way drive overnight...just a short stop around midnight to 2am to rest my eyes at Lexington KY, then on to Cleveland Ohio area. Unloaded, napped for one hour in McDonalds lot, then back to Lexington for another hour long "eyerest". Old eyes begin to jump out of focus, even if not sleepy after many hours.
But the previous trip, I made the trip, passing thru Knoxville just after dark. Discovered I was having trouble seeing the road with the "new" 1993 Ford Ranger I had just acquired. One headlight burned out, so replaced it, then hit the road. Still had trouble seeing the road but traffic was light on the freeway. Noticed I couldn't see headlights hitting the road ahead of me...I could see the one white hash mark in front of me, then nothing but black pavement. Got out, saw that the headlights were focused on the ground just in front of the vehicle...could not see the spot while sitting in the drivers seat. Didn't know where the adjustments were, so carried on like a wayward son.
Encountered light snow south of Cleveland, but was unloaded and on my way home before dark on I-71 heading toward Columbus. Problem: lots of road construction, broken pavement, faded lane lines, no lane lines, construction barrier walls, and traffic still running 80 in the construction zone, in the rain. What could I do except match their speed, picking out a pair of taillights and following them in the dark. Worked well, except when the vehicle exited.
Back thru Cincy, then south to Lexington where the rest area was a welcome sight. Had the sense, finally, to stay there until daylight. You can bet I figured out how to adjust the headlights. Anyway, my usual fuel costs are around $120-$140, and I was paying those costs with my low and midgrade boards, whole power supplies, and whole CD/DVD out of towers, which I have not figured worth stripping the boards.
Fortunately for the other drivers, I now have a vehicle with actual see the highway headlights.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:55 pm 

RustyFuryIII wrote:
With numerous landfills nearby, folks around here do a lot of drop offs at the dump.

Few use the local trash pickup services so driving around picking thru morning curbside waste is no bueno.

I have a good source for CRT & flatscreen TVs. (120 since last March) and our transfer station will accept them at no charge. When I am dropping off my scrapped ones I always take my time. Last Friday I brought in four sets and as I finished I saw a truck driving my direction. (the building I was at is TVs & refrigerators only) So I knew he was going to drop off something. Before he even went to the back of his truck I asked if he had TV and he gave me three flatscreens.

Where I live there is no curbside pick up unless you call and make an appointment. Then they will only pickup two things a year.

So I am stuck hitting yardsales and offering to buy computers/laptops ($1.00) and cellphones(50¢) I am thinking of doing some advertising to haul off old electronics. I already have nicely printed brochures and business cards.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

It’s easy to do. Just make sure you plan ahead.
Doesn’t matter where you are! Advertising free pickup will get you a LOT of interest.

If you’re anywhere near a big city there’s literally nothing you can’t sell if broken down to materials.
I can dump wood furniture pieces and lumber for bank depending on the source tree wood.

Paper. Plastics. Glass.

Makes me wonder about the logic if using a junk hauler that charges. They charge you. Then sell it themselves!

Free pickup and your phone rings off the hook!

Make sure you have the space and a method for scheduling in place first.
If you don’t want an item say so on your brochure. Like A/C, or refrigerators.
And a washing machine can weigh 50lbs or 500lbs.
Think it through and be clear up front and you’ll have no problem finding sources.