Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:54 pm 

Hi and thank you,

1st post, and on my way to boardsort for a 1st drop off after years of collecting for my mad scientist self needs. Ton of things to work out and in crunch time, and trying to figure out how/what needs to be done by early Aug. Seached and have been through at least half the forum, but can't figure this out.

With laptop motherboards I'm taking in, does the black heat (I believe it is, could be wrong.) tape need to come off?

All of the stuff I see pics of, it's gone, but can't find a mention of necessity to remove other than for sharing pics so others can see what would be under it (and I'm sure boardsort doesn't need it on there, so would be polite to remove).

Thanks again for any assistance,
Uriah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:59 pm 

And while I'm at the simple and random questions, if it's ok to piggyback..

If I know boards are same class, but don't exactly know what that is, is that good enough for sorted with a drop off? I know they will look at everything and I intend to keep all like items together, and sorted as best as possible, but I do intend to have it as best/close as possible.

Again, bunch of stuff and crunch time.

Again, thanks again,
Uriah

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:18 pm 

Generally I don’t think the heat tape is a problem, I remove what I can and leave the rest.

You do not have to know the grade, but as long as they are the same grade just set them aside and they will handle it. Ex. You have 10 boards that are the same but you don’t know what they are graded as.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 6:54 pm 

Thanks so much AAK2.

That is great to hear, makes perfect sense to what I was thinking with everything, and is a huge weight lifted from the amount of other things I have to sort out.

I will very possibly be posting some more questionable odds for identification time permitted to do my best, as I've torn down a lot of odd things like medical machines, but time is limited, and I feel better about just doing my best, and sticking to like items together in bulk but super sorted. Also, not being consumed with the OCD on the tape will save me much time for other things.

Cheers,
Uriah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:51 pm 

Exactly what AAK2 said. The benefit of going into boardsort in person is if you have unknown grades on any items you can keep them separated and whoever is there to help weigh material can quickly get it sorted and if you have questions on why something goes in a certain category you can ask directly. You could do the same thing when shipping material, just make sure it's clearly separated and labeled as such.

The following is my personal preferences and thoughts and not necessarily boardsort policy:
Regarding shipping I try my best not to ship any ungraded (unquoted) material and unless I can pack a box extremely tight I always box multiple materials separately within a box. I used to work at a scrap yard and know the feeling of seeing a well organized scrapper vs a truckbed full of junk and unsorted material so I can just imagine how boardsort feels when they get a box of esoup or have to add several unknown grades together for shipped material that wasn't part of a quote. As long as it is sorted and labeled well the ungraded material probably isn't a big deal for boardsort but it just seems rude to expect boardsort to deal with it.

That being said I have sent damaged CPUs, that were in such bad shape I wouldn't have expected them to be purchased, as unquoted material. It was less than a pound and I didn't want to throw them away when there was some recoverable material. I separated them out and included a note with the shipped invoice as well as notified Chris by email the CPUs were there. They were not purchased due to their condition but that's okay.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

I try to remove as much tape as I can. It weighs nothing but can gum things up in refinery stripping/shredding methods. More of a don’t be rude type of thing for me.

As for sorting and unknowns, I email Chris with the order number and tracking (like the quote tells you to) and simply note the additional materials there.

Use logic in this idea though. Sending 1 pound of unknown matched boards isn’t going to hurt you. Paying to send 500 pounds and finding out they’re all low grade (or worse) is bad for the wallet.

I use HD zip ties for binding classes together. Length and width. Which keeps the grades sorted through shipment and is still very easy to release on reception. This method lets me toss unknowns in without concern.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:24 pm 

Thanks also for your replies marked141 & lostinlodos. Both very helpful in individual ways.

marked141 - What you say about going in person is why I saved, and was crossing fingers for. BoardSort has been a great education website for me, and I'm really looking forward to finally getting to do business with them, and see it in person.

lostinlodos - I fully respect the respect hearing you say about the machines, and having had the same thoughts too is partially why I asked. I like the zip-tie idea, but I have an excess of 30 pack boxes I keep from the "other scrap work " I do (good reason to drink beer from cans), and they are awesome for building shelves to size for sorting things out and beyond.

If anyone has a best place/thread to read that shows multiple things as explanation as opposed to discovery that they would be willing to share, I think it would really help speed up and refine my workings. Sorting randomly in the identifier page can get to be a bit time consuming and even get me lost when in crunch for info.

Thanks all again. -Uriah