Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 pm

Post subject: Re: Tested Ramz
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:52 pm 

Sounds like a fairly straightforward rig.
I can help with the PDP 11 board. I had a working PDP11/34 that we acquired from the Dept. of Energy that had the dual 8" disk module that they very recently retired. I traded the bulk of the unit to the owner of the Rhode Island Computer Museum (he has an impressive collection of minicomputers) for a van load of Amiga parts, disk drives and some fairly unusual stuff people have been asking me for (Diamond Trackstar card?)
All this to say: I did put some spare PDP11 stuff aside.
Protip: If you need anything from that era and I don't have it, he has a 50k/sq ft warehouse full of this stuff, and I know I can get it with minimal bartering.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:59 pm 

Side note:
They specialize in DEC and old Wang stuff, particularly, because of their relative proximity to Maynard, MA and Cambridge, MA respectively.
The people that originally formed the museum were Digital engineers originally before they went tits up, hence their fetish with that equipment. They then packed up and opened a museum in Silicon Valley.
Fun facts.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:20 pm 
Site Admin

I know 2BSD can be installed on a memory board because a local community college has one.
But even my good friend professor there can’t figure out HOW they did it.
I actually “loaned” the whole kit to a friend for the last few years to let her try. trying to send the write either overflows or races out.

It’s one of those totally useless things that you just can’t let go because it has been done before. The task is finding out how.
Finding one that’s already been recorded may allow us to see the write order. Find some hook somewhere.
(I personally think they pre-programmed the ROMs and then put them in the sockets, that’s the route I /would/ have taken|can’t prove it either way)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:10 pm 

Lost,
For a guy that seems to have endless projects, finding out how they got Berkley Distribution on there does seem like a rather malignant obsession, and unusual, but I get the reasoning.
Ockham's Razor would suggest trying to find any of the original team still above ground and ask them how it was done. I guess that is where I would begin, but it sounds like you've been at this a while...
Then again, I'm out here trying to test 30 and 72 pin modules for reasons unknown, just because.
I guess we're just built different....

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:18 pm 

By the way, if you would ever like to see rather rare, working examples of PDP7-9 (yes, they take up an entire room) I can extend the inquiry to the RICM and get you in to play around with them. It's only a short 16 hour drive or so from Chicago to North Kingstown, RI

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2022 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Thearchivebooks wrote:
Lost,
…does seem like a rather malignant obsession, and unusual, but I get the reasoning.

I’m an old skool cracker. So my drive in life with electronics is:
Does it play Tetris
Does it play DooM
Can it play Crysis
Lol

The professor I speak of was a second wave BSD with the Berkeley 18. He’s positive the later work on the port was pre-inserted ROMs. I’m not.
My life’s mission is to prove that I’m right or wrong. Lmao!

For what it’s worth, the 11 can run both a bland non-random Tetris AND DooM RPG. Sort of.
Sorry, no Crysis.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:41 am 

Sounds like either way, you'll prove something.
Godspeed!

Also, Crysis sux.