Welcome to Boardsort™ - Learn - Sell - Profit -

Learn to properly Sort, Sell, and Profit from your electronic scrap material.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:12 am 

I've posted a few pictures and only after sending an email did I get a reply. Not complaining because it helped, but I have hundreds of different types of boards, in a limited shared space. At 6 boards a photo I think I would need to post like a hundred threads or so to cover all my boards. I'm not sure if that's practical (see the Small Boards - Vol. X thread in the "What is it? Identification Forum").

I received replies for 3 of my threads, so that's 18 boards, which isn't a lot, but gave me a starting point to extrapolate from, but honestly, I don't see any difference between peripheral high grade and CD Rom board, or telecom grade from what I can tell from here: https://boardsort.com/payout.php

So what I've been doing it grouping high peripheral and possibly CD rom and telecom into 1 category, gold fingerboards high/low into another, backplane looks simple, low peripheral is also fairly straightforward, and low/mid grade into another.

Now, even as is, I think I may make a mistake with having a low peripheral in high peripheral from time to time. In addition, I likely have high and low telecom which I would like to get the telecom price for, not the high peripheral. Some boards I have a lot of and so 2 boxes are dedicated to just that 1 board.

As I am planning to deliver the boards myself, would the guys there help me sort things out into their respective categories? I mean, it's not like I'm mixing low grade with telecom grade, it's like instead of having [1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9], I have [1,2][3][4,5][6,7,8,9].

So I guess what I'm asking is, will the people there at dropoff help me finalize my sorting?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:57 am 

Also, I want to ask about the Integrated Motherboard (No Socket No Gold Tab BGA) category. I don't get this category at all. $0.55/lb for a board that looks like this?
Attachment:
File comment: Integrated Motherboard (No Socket No Gold Tab BGA), $0.55/lb
1035.jpg
1035.jpg [ 499.17 KiB | Viewed 1416 times ]
Remove the battery, maybe the transformer (is that a transformer bottom right?) and this is high peripheral with everything I have learned. I mean much lower looking boards in comparison have been categorized as high peripheral. So, I made a statement that the scrap price list disagrees with. Can someone explain to me if/how I am wrong about this category?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

I’ve seen this and WILL be back

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:53 pm 
Site Admin

CD-ROM boards contain a specific set of ASICs (application specific integrated circuits) that are well know, well documented, and have change little over the years. The boards have shrunk, the due size has shrunk, but the chips remain the same. DVD and HDDVD adds one ASIC. BD adds one and removes one.
The only variation I’ve seen is some data centre level tape drives never being questioned and accepted as CD boards, specifically LTO and HP-based (and derivative) RT3P drive boards.

The guys at the dock are very knowledgeable and will help with confusion if you’ve done the basics. They won’t sort a mixed pallet for you but if you’ve a large number of same/similar boards and are not quite sure where class cutoffs are they’ll help with the end details. Your stated method is perfect.

See my new post on motherboard classes for info on the BGA boards.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:43 pm 

lostinlodos wrote:
BD adds one and removes one.
...specifically LTO and HP-based (and derivative) RT3P drive boards

I'm not familiar on those acronyms. I was thinking earlier and does CD-rom always have those kind of looking connectors? Kind of like how harddrives do in their own category? I've read every single stickied thread. As far as I see it, mobos are easy. Just the integrated I am skeptical of, and high peripheral to telecom (I hope I understand CD-drives right).*(edit: just saw your new thread, clarifying on this area at viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22334)*

Also wanted to ask about auto boards. I read in a thread buried somewhere and got worried. I have some high peripheral-telecom and there is an obvious gloss. Is that what determines auto? Or maybe it refers to a PCB baked inside of an epoxy? (the picture on price list does not look like that tho)

I plan to take some photos this week and hopefully it makes the cut. Hopefully it helps a lot of people but simultaneously enough professionals comment to differentiate difficult to i.d. high peripheral, from low telecom, to high telecom, and maybe even some Gold Cap/Gold Edge/CNC boards.

Last edited by poopootrain67 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:58 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18961&p=33568&hilit=cd%2Fdvd#p33568

That's a thread from awhile back that I posted (and Lost graded), has a variety of CD/DVD drives. They all come from a CD or DVD or Blu-Ray drive; there's some that are obviously from a computer but also other form factors like a stereo or DVD player or something else.

There are compact drives that won't have all the chips necessary to meet the grade.

And LTO and the rest are a type of tape drive
LTO: Linear Tape-Open
HP (I assume Hewlett Packard)
RT3P: hahaha RTTTP... (goes to hide in a dark corner to hide my shame)

Last edited by marked141 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:08 pm 

poopootrain67 wrote:
Also wanted to ask about auto boards.

I could be mistaken but auto boards come from an automobile, have that large connector (seen in the example images on the pricelist) and generally are a lower value/quality even if it looks like there is good stuff on it. The epoxy/sealant doesn't have a lot of bearing on value.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:17 am 
Site Admin

poopootrain67 wrote:
I'm not familiar on those acronyms.

RT3P is real time tape transfer protocol. They’re a less popular cloud level tape system that competes with LTO.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:20 am 
Site Admin

marked141 wrote:
The epoxy/sealant doesn't have a lot of bearing on value.

There’s an old thread somewhere where I mistakenly lumped all epoxy/sealed boards together. I never found it again to fix my error.
I apologise